ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

which is the lightest instant messenger?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Lashiec:
The official MSN Live, with all it's bloat, only uses 24megs of private bytes... it's working set is 40megs though, but again 'only' 21megs private WS. I normally use miranda, but (afaik) it doesn't support custom emoticons, which can make some conversations pretty hard to follow...
-f0dder (May 18, 2008, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Since 0.7.5 custom emoticons are supported, sometimes it fails to display them, although it also seems to depends of what engine you're using to format text in the message dialogs.

So, yeah, Miranda is one of the lightest, around 7-9 MB of usage out of the box. Mine uses around 16-21 MB, that's because of the plugins I have installed :P

f0dder:
Lashiec: how do you enable them, though? I see that Miranda *downloads* those custom emoticons, and has for quite a while, but it doesn't display them - nor standard emoticons, for that matter. And the plugin jungle/sea is way too massive, imho... and while I like Miranda generally, it's a tad unstable at times,  especially the file transfer (which is insanely slow, too :( ).

Lashiec:
Ah, yep, you also need SmileyAdd to show them.

f0dder:
Thanks, mate!

Somebody ought to cut down the jungle a bit... and add automatic plugin updates to the core :)

Lashiec:
Oh, there's a plugin for that as well :)

I hope that *someday* they will add some more functionality to the program, but I'm sure someone will complain "OH NOES, FEATURE BLOAT OMG!!!1111", there's always one guy who does not like smileys and automatic updates ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version