ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

which is the lightest instant messenger?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Deozaan:
[EDIT] I have a similar question but in regard to GoogleTalk. [/EDIT]

I'm really fond of GoogleTalk because of it's minimalistic design. It doesn't have all that extra garbage/bloat like MSN or Y!IM. However, I've been increasingly displeased with the fact that for some reason it takes up 26MB of RAM.

But since GTalk is all I use anymore, I don't know if there are any other lighter IM clients that I can use my GTalk friends list.

Here are the features I'd like:

1. GTalk friends list.
2. Ability to log chats.
3. Ability to send files.

Anything much more than that is unnecessary, in my opinion.

kalos:
Gtalk works with msn and yahoo protocol?

muntealb:
The lightest IM that supports MSN is probably aMSN.

http://www.amsn-project.net/

You could try also Trillian, it can connect to the MSN network.

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

f0dder:
I'm really fond of GoogleTalk because of it's minimalistic design. It doesn't have all that extra garbage/bloat like MSN or Y!IM. However, I've been increasingly displeased with the fact that for some reason it takes up 26MB of RAM.-Deozaan (May 17, 2008, 07:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
The official MSN Live, with all it's bloat, only uses 24megs of private bytes... it's working set is 40megs though, but again 'only' 21megs private WS. I normally use miranda, but (afaik) it doesn't support custom emoticons, which can make some conversations pretty hard to follow...

Mark0:
I most always use the Jabber client integrated in Gmail  (so, Gtalk), since I have that page loaded all the time anyway. If I had a conversation that goes over a brief exchange, I just pop-out the chat Windos. If I have also to send somefiles, either I send via Gmail or fire-up Gtalk.

Bye!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version