ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Procedural Game Coding Contest (May 5 to June 2)

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
The indie game coding website tigsource.com is holding a short programming competition focusing on games that use procedurally generated content.

The competition runs from May 5 to June 2.

Procedural Content Generation is just a fancy name for an old technology that was popularized by Will Wright's Spore media blitzkrieg (which seemed like they were trying to pretend they invented the concept) -- it refers to any scenario where rather than fixed human crafted content, a game employs some algorithms to dynamically create some content (environment, mazes, etc.) during gameplay.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1646.0

f0dder:
That's a pretty neat idea for a competition... and especially with today's fast CPUs, I'm sure you can generate some pretty hefty content on the fly. Or do even heftier precomputations, like 64kb intros have done for a while (farb-rausch have some good samples of what you can do if you're smart about doing it).

dnm:
Procedural Content Generation is just a fancy name for an old technology that was popularized by Will Wright's Sport media [...]
-mouser (May 04, 2008, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think you meant "Spore". Just in case people were confused.

mouser:
right you are -- thanks for clarifying that.  i've corrected it now in my post.

dpierron:
Procedurally generating content in games is nothing new at all, as you cleverly remarked...
So basically every random roguelike are easy entries in this contest...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version