topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA - Request for 1 Firefox Extension - These 3 Tab-Related Functions  (Read 9441 times)

cathodera

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Ohh! This sounds too good to be true!

You mean I can just waltz in here, blush a little, lower my lashes, and shyly confide my Most Secretest FireFox Extension Desires and Uncensored XP Tweakage Fantasies and some Gallant Knight, Valiant Lady or Noble Drag Queen will gallop up on a sleek black keyboard, swoop them up and carry them off to a secure undisclosed location and ravish them into something so instantly clickable and idiot-proof that it does not even require the addition of cute cartoon helpmice?

If so, may all applicable deities and carefully selected associated djinns and spirits have mercy upon your carpal tunnels, you people should have never let me in here.

Because what I want, first of all, is ONE Firefox extension that will:

1) put tabs on the bottom like https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/1122 Tab Mix Plus
2) close tabs with a double click like https://addons.mozil...US/firefox/addon/260 Tab Clicking Options
3) cause the active tab to be a different color than the other ones like https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/1368 Colorful Tabs

At the time of this writing, all these things are possible - separately. In other words, there are already extensions that do all those things, but they are not all compatible with each other.

Is there a very good reason for that? Am I asking the impossible? Have I stumbled upon some Great Firefox Conundrum that sages regularly spend hours puzzling over?

Or have I, just maybe, dared to type aloud a long-suppressed Firefox Extension yearning that languishes in other hearts?

I hope I posted this correctly. If I did not, I promise to compose an apology.
One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
tab mix plus can do 1+2 and will work ok with Colorful Tabs.  I love Tab Mix Plus and it can be configured to do almost anything with regard to tabs.

cathodera

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Really? I am using Tab Mix Plus, and I can't find where it will close on double-click.

I have been looking under the "Tab Closing" section of the options, and it is not there.

Can you tell me where to find it?

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here:

Screenshot - 5_4_2008 , 8_34_57 AM.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i love the setting i have it set to now, where dbl-clicking a tab closes all other tabs.
also i have added the "close left tabs" and "close right tabs" to the tab context menu which i find invaluable.

cathodera

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

It may take me a few days to compose a really good explanation for how I managed to miss that, so  for now I will just confine myself to praising your formidable knowledge of findingstuffology just a little too loudly, while tracing the carpet pattern with a nervous toe, and otherwise engaging in a panoply of embarrassed and fidgety behaviors, yet secretly taking comfort in the knowledge that I will have made at least a few thousand lurkers feel oh-so-superior, and for a few it will be just that little burst of confidence they needed to do something really life-changing.

So, see, it might have looked like I am just another hopelessly clueless person who asked a dumb question, but the reality is that for somebody, somewhere, I will have done an Authentic Good Deed.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wasn't a dumb question -- there are so many options in Tab Mix Plus that it's easy to miss them.
This is example of perfect question for this forum since it's useful stuff that many people probably didn't even realize was available.  No need to feel embarrassed at all.

Actually the only real flaw in your post was in thinking that someone could just code up such a firefox extension if it didn't already exist - that would actually be a pretty daunting and big request that would be outside the scope of a little coding snack here.  So probably the question would have been better posted in the General Software section as a question if anyone knew any existing firefox extensions that could do what you want.

cathodera

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Oh! So I did do a Good Deed!

And so did you. I was afraid the "O-scope" word would come up sooner or later.

Also, now I know where to post my requests for Remote Cat-Grooming-related Firefox extensions, once I get the feature list ready.

I am delighted to learn that the color one will go with Tab Mix, and grateful to you for telling me so.

But I still think it one tab extension should do it all.  I must resign myself, I suppose, to being doomed to a browser that is decked out like a Christmas tree. My attempts to streamline and downsize are thwarted at every turn by the hydra-headed juggernaut of Bloat. How it cackles as it marches me through its endless whackamolian labyrinth!

Thanks to your kindness, I shall now console myself by double-clicking tabs and closing them. It has come to my attention that a fine example of the cinematic arts, "The Hottie and The Nottie" is now available for viewing in the drawing room, so I must put aside these low-brow pursuits of things binary, for Culture beckons.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
cathodera: here's the link to TMP's help file, worth browsing through because as mouser mentioned Tab Mix Plus has plenty options that it will take some time to find what you want.

btw, would like to add that TMP also handles coloring of the tabs even though not as extensive as the ColorfulTabs. please refer to the screenshot. :)

ws-tabmixplus-2.png

cathodera

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Thank you lanux! I have a lot of reading to do! I have shamefully underestimated Tabs Mix Plus, and  have resolved to invite it to lunch and apologize to it.

Since mouser was kind enough to bring this to my attention, I have installed both color tabs and Tab Effects, and https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/4258 Tab Effect, and I have to confess that Tab Effect has totally turned my head and wowed me. It is really embarrassing, after talking so much about streamlining and minimizing, as if I were above all that.

But you just have to get Tab Effect, and if it makes you bounce and dissolve into helpless giggles of delight, nobody has to know about it.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you're welcome, cathodera! and if you're into wow-effects, also check out Tab Scope. :)

ws-tabeffects-1.png

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
and if what lanux wrote wows you, check out http://interclue.com/ (not related to tabs though)
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

cathodera

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank You! I have bookmarked interclue, although I know in my heart that like the Power Pro thing, it is probably more firepower than I truly need.

I have my reading cut out for me, I have decided that the best way to make amends to Tab Mix Plus for my previous cavalier attitude is to get to know it, and that is keeping me busy.

You know I came here thinking it would be a good place to help me in my mission to streamline and downsize, yet everywhere I turn, there is something tempting me to go back to my old ways and download first and ask questions later.

But I will be strong, and resist.

You know the shopping rule about not letting yourself buy it unless you can name at least 3 existing outfits that it will truly improve and go with?

Well, I am doing a similar thing here. Before I download it, whatever it is, I  have to study it enough to know that it will replace something I already have, preferably more than one thing. And  do so with a daintier footprint and appetite.

It is a daunting challenge. We will see how long I can stick to it  :P

kreatorr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Additional to TMP, I also use ChromaTabs https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/3810 so that the color of the tab is related to the color of the favicon.  Makes it easier to find groups of tabs that are from the same site...

Do note that there used to be incompatibilities between ChromaTab and TMP, and it required some hacking of the .xpi files to get it working.  Not sure if the latest version still has this issue as I think I'm still using the hacked ChromaTab xpi..