topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Timer - closed  (Read 118198 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Timer
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2008, 11:11 AM »
if you have any other fscript-based plugins you might try moving them so you can test farr with just the timer plugin and nothing else, at least that would eliminate the possibility that the problem is caused by plugins.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2008, 11:21 AM »
Yes, I did that -- what I did is zipping all plugins, deleting them, and leaving only the timer plugin in the plugins folder. That didn't work either. Same problem.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008, 11:53 AM »
czb,

here is an idea that is totally optional -- so only add it if you think it would be a good idea and easy:
"add a P)resets" item to top level, which would display a list from 0-9 of prefefined alarms the user could create, the contents of which would be read from a .txt file (presetalarams.txt).

So a user could edit the presetalarms.txt file like:
 in 1:00:00 Coffee Break Time
 in 10:00 Play Break Time

And when they type "tm p" it would show:
0) in 1:00:00 Coffee Break Time
1) in 10:00 Play Break Time

pressing a number would create that alarm.

---

it's just an idea, feel free to ignore it.

ps. I dont think the F)ind function serves much purpose for this plugin; i'm not sure when one would ever need it, so you might want to remove it from the listed features when you type "tm".  im sure it will come in handy in future plugins though :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2008, 07:21 PM »
A preview screenshot of Timer plugin using the new AlertBox plugin api function being added to FARR:

Screenshot - 5_4_2008 , 7_20_43 PM.png

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2008, 02:00 AM »
Armando: I am lost with you. It actually seams to me that some activexobject doesnt work for you. I remember that you have had problems with new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject"); and now it seams that new ActiveXObject("InternetExplorer.Application"); does not work for you (that is why no window is displayed to you).
So try to reinstall Windows Script:
http://www.microsoft...1&displaylang=en
Restart windows after reinstalling ;)

mouser: where can we get the new version of FARR?
In todotxt you can write something like p:something which means project something or you can write @something. I wanted to implement similar function which is find where you can create any mark like (xxx,yyy etc) and by typing it in every todo and by using function find you can select only some of your todos. Like you type "mum: call my mum tomorow" or "mum: give her flowers" etc and then you go to find and type "mum:" and it displays what all you have to do to your mum ;) Any other ideas are of course welcome ;)

And concerning presetalarams.txt I will add it to my todo list ;)

presetalarams.txt added ;) type number of some alarm and "p" to add to preset alarms. Type "p" on main menu to retrieve preset alarm or to delete one

edit: mouser:
Are you ready for a couple more really minor tweaks?
1) In the log you are listing all past alerts as [CANCELED], but i think ONLY the ones that the user DELETES should be marked as canceled.
2) In the log you are only showing the text associated with the event.  It would be nice if it showed the date+time as well as the tex
I did not get this. do you want to have active alarms in the log as well? all alarms showed in the log are canceled...
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:27 AM by czechboy »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2008, 04:55 AM »
I did not get this. do you want to have active alarms in the log as well? all alarms showed in the log are canceled...

yes it makes sense to me that the log is for all alarms, not just canceled ones.  at least that's what i thought would make sense.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2008, 09:21 AM »
czechboy : thank you so much !!! It works. And not only does your plugin now works (and it's a really nice one -- I love it), some other things that I was never able to get working work too!!!!!! Like a Word plugin called WordToys that I was never ever able to see in action (https://www.donation...86.msg75957#msg75957 )... To my surprise, I fire up Word just to paste an article and... 1 new toolbar and about 25 new icons appear. Wow. What else have I been missing for all that time...  :tellme:

:-*

tablaji

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Indian Music in Austria
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2008, 09:22 AM »
This plugin does not work here. - if i try to "configure advanced plugin options", i only get a diaolg box with "cancel" and "ok" buttons, but nothing else. farr window reacts as expected when typing "tm" etc. but obviously, no timer is being started. "settings" cannot be invoked with "tm settings".
Doest the plugin need anything like .NET extensions (which are not installed here)?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Have you tried this ? Who knows...
Armando: I am lost with you. It actually seams to me that some activexobject doesnt work for you. I remember that you have had problems with new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject"); and now it seams that new ActiveXObject("InternetExplorer.Application"); does not work for you (that is why no window is displayed to you).
So try to reinstall Windows Script:
http://www.microsoft...1&displaylang=en
Restart windows after reinstalling ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2008, 10:04 AM »
czechboy : thank you so much !!! It works. And not only does your plugin now works (and it's a really nice one -- I love it), some other things that I was never able to get working work too!!!!!!

very cool.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18 PM »
I am having a small issue with presets and "in". It seems like if you use "in" as definition preset renders useless because it tries to save a spesific time rather than a countdown?

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2008, 02:56 AM »
Yes you are right. The same is with at. It also saves as "on". I will try to fix it.

So I took a look at it and found out that it will not be that easy. Right now you can edit presetalarms.txt by yourself and add "in" or "at" and it will work.

In the plugin there is only one option right now how to add preset and it is by selecting an existing alarm. I do not think I can modify this to work with "in" and "at" but I can add option to "p" to add preset and there would be option to add "in" "on" "at". What do you think about this?

Or one could also add preset by typing f.e. ":p:" anywhere in the text (example: tm in 20 school :p: is fine) and if it finds :p:, it would add it to alarm + preset. Or there can be even other options how to add preset alarm. Just give me some hints how to implement it ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:14 AM by czechboy »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2008, 02:05 AM »
Well I am fine with any solution that is not a hassle like editing a text file. Maybe we can have seperate presets for countdowns.

Overall the way I see is that unless it is stated timer should act as an alarm or coundown timer. That would decrease amount of parameters that one needs to remember or type. This may sound little too weird but I use if not hundreds tens of softwares everyday with many different variety so to me consistency and speed is very important. For example I know it is not your fault but I hate the "." it is just not a consistent software behaviour, just to finalize the timer. I love "tab" and that should be the standard behaviour for any function within Farr.

That is just me thou. Everyone has different needs.

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2008, 03:05 AM »
Soon there will be an option for finalizing timer. What do you mean by "tab" do you want to have timer finalized by tab? I thought "enter" would be better option.

I think I will implement it this way because this is the simplest possible way :) :
Or one could also add preset by typing f.e. ":p:" anywhere in the text (example: tm in 20 school :p: is fine) and if it finds :p:, it would add it to alarm + preset.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2008, 10:51 AM »
"enter " is better than "." definetely.

Your implementation sounds good as well. As I said it is already well thought plugin :)

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2008, 02:26 PM »
So I have added preset adding option. Do not forget to run settings! ;)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Thanks for the update. But I am little confused with the way it works,
"Preset alarm (Type in the text "undefined"): false" . How is this supposed to work? Sorry It is jut not that obvious to me  :)

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2008, 03:25 AM »
First of all run settings in order to change undefined to something reasonable.
So you start to type "in 20 school is great :p:" and in the moment it recognizes :p: (or what you define in settings) it will change from false to true.

BTW: I would realy appreciate if someone of you (native English speaker) could do corrections of all statements in the plugin. You can even rewrite them from scratch, so that it would look "profesionally" :Thmbsup: Or if it is better for you I can separate all statements into special file (like english.lng) so that corrections would be easier. Is here anybody who would like to do that? 8)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2008, 11:02 AM »
type PERIOD (.) to add the timer.

czechboy,

Is that in the "online help?"  If not, please could you add it?  Thanks...

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Soon all plugins are to be rewriten (due to HTML support and Enter support etc) so I will wait with modifing of my pages until I do that ;)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2008, 02:38 PM »
OK, thanks.  As long as we know how to use it  ;)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2008, 10:32 AM »
czechboy : I see that all times options are related to a specific date and clock time, so if one wants to reuse the "in" type of timers (count down), it's not very convenient. It would be cool if "in" was not bound to a specific clock time.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2008, 12:06 AM »
I've had trouble getting 'tm' to work.
With the later versions of FARR I can sometimes get an alert window as expected,
but not every time.
If I say 'Yes' to 'Do you want to have alert spoken?' nothing ever appears. Entries are logged, though.

Any advice on what I should check into, in order to get a spoken alert?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2008, 05:44 AM »
I just found a small bug in Timer's regex.. It should be "^tm(.*)$", so that it doesn't capture "tm" inside other words ;)

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2008, 10:12 AM »
cranioscopical: well maybe you can try to reinstall your sapi, but not sure if it solves the problem. I have tried talking warning and I have got "unknown exception" several times and suddenly now it works fine again. I have no idea why this happends but I have included try catch statement so in case of any error you will not loose your alert message ;)

jgpaiva: I use no regex. Do you mean regex should not be empty but with "^tm(.*)$" inside?