ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Phone Interview with Microsoft!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
Good luck with that interview! All the best to you!  :Thmbsup:

ljbirns:
I'm 64 yrs old and retired,  I will tell you from  long experience.  NEVER think that you are NOT as smart or as good as the other guy. You are just as good and just  smart as anyone else. 
 The other interviewees are worried about YOU .
Good luck

Lew

cthorpe:
The first real job interview I ever had was with Dell.  I'm not quite sure how I even got the interview I did, but it was for a project coordinator/management position.  The interview, which turned out be 5 different interviews with different combinations of interviewers, was brutal.  At times, it even bordered on absurd.  I was asked general interview type questions.  I was asked to imagine bizarre scenarios where I had to save myself and everyone in the room from some impending disaster using a drinking straw, paperclip, and a rubber band.  I was asked about my pets.  I was asked how I even got past security.  About halfway through, I stopped panicing and started having fun with the interviewers.  I didn't get the job, but I have found that every interview since then has been a breeze.

iphigenie:
Some of the large companies have the most ridiculous interview processes, full of weird tests that make sense to them, one hopes.

I think that is because they have the hiring process run by people who cannot know about the position or skills much, on one side, and people who know about the skills and position but arent trusted to evaluate the candidates' general abilities and work-worthiness, on the other side. I mean it can be hard to evaluate someone's problem solving skills if yours arent good, so tests with a set of "good" answers will help. They also help remove interviewer bias a little.

It can make a candidate feel like cattle though.

I have mostly been active in SMBs where you are just expected to get this out of a candid talk with candidates and perhaps a pure technical test (just to make sure they arent bluffing).

Lashiec:
I was asked to imagine bizarre scenarios where I had to save myself and everyone in the room from some impending disaster using a drinking straw, paperclip, and a rubber band.
-cthorpe (April 30, 2008, 11:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps you thought it was Dell, but in reality it was a casting for Richard Dean Anderson stunt doubles ;)

Or perhaps it was a different take on The Gronhölm Method :S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version