ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

questions for programmers

<< < (4/4)

steeladept:
This might be a good opportunity to remind people about the Self-Teaching Programming Section on this forum:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=77.0
-mouser (March 14, 2008, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, guess I aught to get back to that, huh.  I got hung up on the mathmatics of my code and sort of let that slip.

Okay Nikki, you and me learning together on this - I was (am) trying out Java because I have had a class on it and it may prove useful at work.  I will try AHK as well and see where I get there. ;)

gally:
heyy,Veign.
this is gally's daughter sorry it took so long but we finally got our reports back.
i received a 75/100,even though its a C it was also the highest grade in my class.
thanks again for all the help,
Nikki

Veign:
Good Job!

gally:
thank you!

Jimdoria:
Just saw this thread - what a great topic! Thanks, Nikki & Gally for getting it started.

As far as the first programming language and how to get started, I was reminded of Hackety Hack:

In the 1980s, a language called BASIC swept the countryside. It was a language beginners could use to make their computer speak, play music. You could easily draw a big smiley face or a panda or whatever you like! But not just BASIC. Other languages like: LOGO and Pascal were right there on many computers.

In this century, you may have dozens of programming languages lurking on your machine. But how to use them?? A fundamental secret! Well, no more. We cannot stand for that. Hackety Hack will not stand to have you in the dark!!
--- End quote ---

Hackety Hack is a learning environment based on Ruby that aims to re-create the workflow of those early BASICs - type, run, see something cool happen, tweak, and so on. It's Internet focused ("Code your own blog in 6 lines! Your own IM in twice that!") but there's no reason you couldn't write desktop apps with it too.

Might be worth a look to aspiring programmers of any age. http://www.hacketyhack.net

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version