topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How much should Microsoft charge for its Home software subscription?  (Read 6088 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Two weeks ago, Microsoft announced it would start testing a software subscription that combines its OneCare anti-virus package, the home version of its Office suite, and some other features in one package, called Albany.

Microsoft doesn't answer the biggest question about the bundle: how much it will cost?

liveonecaresuit.jpg

Right now OneCare has a list price of $50 a year, and Microsoft Office Home and Student lists for $150 in the version you can use forever, and is licensed for three PCs. (Amazon is currently selling a one-year OneCare subscription for $30 and the home Office version for $120.) The news release (linked above) says that Albany also includes Microsoft Live Mail, Messenger and Photo Gallery, services that are already free. In any case, how much would this package be worth to you? Assume that Microsoft upgrades Office every three years. So for people who wanted the most up-to-date version, the list price of $150 for the home edition of Office would come to $50 a year. So the combination of Office and OneCare, at $50 a year, assuming you wanted it, would bring the price to $100 a year, list, or $80 a year, based on the Amazon discounts.

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
Well office for Students (which is nearly the same as office for home users) is currently £12.95 per year - http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk/ - but the US version of this offer doesn't seem to have a yearly cost - http://www.theultimatesteal.com
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cool! Thanks for the link support, mediaguycouk.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The student price isn't a realistic comparison because I bought the whole "Office 2007 Ultimate Edition" which contains just about every package in the Office family for about £38 ($60 in the US) and the UK rental price is a one year only option (it isn't an annual subscription as far I can see - just a one off - especially as The Ultimate Steal offer finishes in 2 days so there will be no offer to return to for renewal). Strangely the US seems to be one of the minority of countries that doesn't include the one year rental offer!

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Do we know that the Ultimate Steal is legitimate. I am a cycnic at heart and it smells mighty dodgy to me. Of course someone may know something I don't!

**edit** I did some more digging and it looks like it probably is legit - but I can see people being nervous. If it looks too good to be true it generally is.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:17 AM by markan »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well it is run by MS - I have the software downloaded from the MS servers, I received a genuine MS CD set and it registered and activated on two machines without problem (allowed under the Office license). I also have a printed receipt from MS UK.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:19 AM by Carol Haynes »

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
There is a link on that site to a microsoft.com/education page somewhere. Plenty of people here (University of Southampton) have successfully bought their license.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's a fantastic price, Carol, half of what it's selling on amazon.co.uk (£79.98 for the mere 3-PC home/student edition. The Standard and Pro editions jump to £330 and £415 respectively). For the pro edition as an equivalent annual subscription, however, that translates into £35/mo. (or $69/mo.).

Seems the price would have to come way down, as I don't know anyone who would pay £35, $70, or €43 a month for an Office subscription.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Ultimate edition list price is $599 (not that any one in their right mind would pay that).

Having said that the Home/Student edition doesn't include Outlook and is basically just Word/Excel/PowerPoint and OneNote where as the ultimate steal version includes all the Office products including: Outlook, Access, Publisher, InfoPath and Groove.