ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knock, Knock, It's the FBI

<< < (5/7) > >>

Tekzel:
One name illustrates this fear: Pete Townshend.

There's a guy who spent his life with children's charities, researched one book about the subject, and among a lifetime of public service around the globe, he still got clobbered. The press never prints those retractions and follow-up stories in the same above-the-fold screaming headlines as the first go-round.
-zridling (April 29, 2008, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

That kind of overreaction happens all the time, and most people seem perfectly ok with some innocent people's lives being utterly ruined by false accusations and such.  Well, until it is THEY that are the victim.  My point is, there are a few areas in the law where we totally throw out the system.  You ARE guilty even if proven innocent.  This is very, very dangerous. 

zridling:
Tekzel: You ARE guilty even if proven innocent.
--- End quote ---

That's the reality. On TV, they try to make it seem otherwise, but most juries are predisposed to find you guilty, thinking, "You wouldn't have been arrested and charged and incarcerated if you were innocent!" For some reason, false imprisonment is perhaps my worst fear in life. Almost feel like the Sean Veil character in the movie Freeze Frame.

mouser:
This reminds me of: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/82561/can_us_customs_search_seize_your_laptop.html

Can US Customs Search & Seize Your Laptop Computer Without Cause? YES They Can!
Ninth Circuit Court Decides that US Customs and Border Patrol Agents Can Search & Seize Electronic Equipment Without Cause

On July 24, 2006, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit decided that US Customs and Border Patrol Officers had the right to search and seize a person’s laptop computer, computer discs and other electronic media. Nowhere has this information been broadcast. Millions of travelers know nothing about this ruling.
--- End quote ---

I actually found this quite shocking when i first heard about it.  And don't be mistaken into thinking that this means that if they really are convinced you are a criminal they will call in someone special team to examine your laptop but it will never happen to you.  It appears from anecdotal evidence (ask DC member Veign) that normal customs agents may just casually select people laptops, open them up and start looking around at your files, etc.

cranioscopical:
I actually found this quite shocking when i first heard about it.
-mouser (May 02, 2008, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't like it, but I can't see a lot of difference between this and their long-standing ability to peruse physical documents at will.

cathodera:
This could mean a very good chance at government funding and contracts for those who might wish to develop similar projects that could help America fight the war on terror by rooting out individuals who visit websites whose content might be interpreted as critical of US policies!

Conversely, anyone who might want to work on a "link pre-cacher" that would defy detection would probably want to do so - and distribute it, anonymously to avoid being suspected of having suspected links to links that might be suspected of being with the terrorists, aiding not only pedophilia, but also the incitement of anti-American sentiment, as well as contributory violation  of the Patriot Act, in the form of a willful attempt to prevent authorities from obtaining information needed to enforce the Patriot Act, protect American children, defend freedom, and win the war on terror.

And of course, Americans, or others who are subject to American laws, which would mean anyone who lives in a country other than the US, would want to avoid those link pre-cachers, because even if they don't mind being considered pro-pedophile, they would not want to be suspected of being anti-American!

Or anti-business, because to oppose this important strategy is to oppose the terrific possibilities for those whose portfolios include Halliburton subsidiary, CCA (if it's not a subsidiary of Halliburton, at least officially, yet) - it's impossible to predict how many additional facilities - both in and outside US borders - will be needed as link-caching perps are smoked out of their caves and brought to the justice of indefinite detention!

More government funding opportunities - training programs for America's educators - even schoolchildren will be able to do their part in the fight against pedophiles and terror by rooting out link-pre-cachers  installed on home computers!

And as those rogue parents are rendered, that will mean more funding for additional facilities to house The Littlest Patriots themselves!

OK, so it might be a year, even more, before we can all be sure that every single link we - or our software - clicks is being carefully reviewed by a real live regime operative, but it's a step toward some really empowering changes for all the millions of internet users,  who can all rest a little easier tonight knowing that somewhere in Washington, at least one Task Force has got their back!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version