ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knock, Knock, It's the FBI

(1/7) > >>

app103:
This is a pretty scary scenerio and one that would be having me thinking about pulling the plug on the internet for all employees, if I owned a business that had any employees.

Just imagine if one day in the near future the FBI comes to your enterprise with warrants that allow them to seize and remove any computer-related equipment, utility bills, telephone bills, any addressed correspondence sent through the U.S. mail, video gear, camera equipment, checkbooks, bank statements and credit card statements. The first question you'd ask is, "Who has done what?"

You're going to be presume your CEO has been involved in some outrageous stock manipulation, or maybe your CFO has been cooking the books. But no, the agent in charge says: "Someone here clicked on a Web link and we're going to find out who did it."
--- End quote ---

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145174/knock_knock_its_the_fbi.html

Renegade:
Or you can just frame someone by finding out what the links are then spoofing their IP address and making fake requests...  :o

It a very dangerous road that they're going down. Perhaps it could be grounds for a warrant to sniff someone's Internet traffic, but immediate arrest? That's a bit overboard.

Yet again more BS legislation from people that have no clue about technology.

zridling:
You'd think that law enforcement would use their time and resources to fight crime rather than lure citizens to commit them!

"Hey buddy, want some free crack?"

zridling:
I think the worst FBI scam I've seen in the US is where the FBI or SEC deposits a large sum into your bank account — say, more than $20,000 — and then if you don't report the discrepancy within 10 days, you're charged with grand theft larceny among other crimes. Even if you didn't spend a dime of it, you're charged with intent or attempted or whatever. Insanity.

iphigenie:
Well a security agency needs to justify its existence and increasing budgets, and for that they need to show more and more threats/crimes

There is a very murky side when you have entrapment/honeypots, especially if they are very wide open and someone could innocently wander in. In IT Honeypots were actually invented as a security mechanism (distraction) not as a way to catch anyone and pursue...

Anyway, I think I made the point once that everyone should use stuff like TOR - not because they have anything to hide but because you never know when something innocuous will suddenly become somthing to hide, and because the mass of users adds to the anonymity of the system

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version