topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help me build my shot glass collection - Receive a small trinket from overseas  (Read 11543 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To the members of DonationCoder.com,

As many of you know, I am enlisted in the United States Army. As such, I am about ready to hit 2 deployments in the upcoming months. With them upcoming, I had a request for the peoplat DonationCoder.com.

Recently, my wife and I have started a collection. Our collection is of shot glasses from different places we visit. However, we had the fun idea, inspired by our very own app103 on the DonationCoder.com IRC Channel, of gathering up shot glasses from places with funny names. For example, Intercourse, PA. One of the goals is to collect one from each of the 50 states, the other is to collect one from various places around the world.

My request is this. I would like to enlist the help of the community in gathering these shot glasses from various places all over the world. With my upcoming deployment, I will be able to give something in exchange. I will be able to send you something that I can gather off the overseas market. This, I feel, would be neat for most people as a sort of "Nick Nack" or "Collector's Item".

Anyways, I am hoping that this isn't ill-founded in requesting this publicly as such, but I feel it is the best way to gather as many of these without the expense of travelling to each of the areas. I will try my hardest to find something for each and every person who manages to send a shot glass with a funny town name to my family while I am deployed. I will keep a list and if I don't manage to gather something in my first deployment I will gather something in my second. So please, don't think you will be forgotten.

I thank all of you who decide to help and all of you for taking the time to read my post. This is a great group of people and I would not have requested this anywhere else.

PM me for shipping details.

Thanks!

Josh

P.S: PLEASE, do not take this as a solicitation for donations, that is not my intent on this post. I am merely looking to trade one good for another of about equal value.

Second P.S.: The request for funny town names is just that, a request. If you desire to send a shot glass from your particular area anyways, I will respond the exact same way to all that are received.

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What is a shot glass? --
-- ah, that => "In Germany, shot glasses (German: Schnapsglas, Pinchen, Stamperl) are smaller."

shotglass.jpgHelp me build my shot glass collection - Receive a small trinket from overseas

Nice idea, I wish you luck with this project  :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:18 PM by AbteriX »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That is exactly what a shot glass is. They come in various shapes, sized, colors and models.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a sweet idea - next time i am in a place with a funny name I will try to see if i can find out  :Thmbsup:

I have a loosely similar weird project which is to try to walk between places with related names - my first one is Rye to Sandwich (best I could find so far that makes sense). I need to walk some to warm my legs for the 4 days of Nijlmegen this summer, and since I cannot quite convince enough people to walk with me I have to find something to give me ideas... else I just wont do it (alone is just less fun)

Sandwich... I might have you shot glass right there!

Question: swiss white wine glasses, slightly bigger than shot glasses, would that be ok too? I'm swiss so I can easily get one next time I go visit my mum
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:04 AM by iphigenie »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Here's a shot glass for ya! :)

Can't help out... I live in Seoul... Not a very cool name for a city, and certainly doesn't beat Hell, Michigan! :D

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
I need to find one from where I am: I live in Game Cock country (Game Cocks are USC's mascot).  I will see if I can find a We Love Our Cocks shot glass.  Only place in the country where you can say that on the radio without worry.

edited: Going out today to look for one
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:49 PM by Veign »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fun idea! If I stumble upon a shot glass either from a funny place or from a completely unfunny place, I'll try and remember to ship it :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
do you like kitsch ones as well Josh?
I'm not doing much travelling these days but next time I'm in Schwarzwald (Black Forest) you'd be in luck ;)
Tom

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Question: swiss white wine glasses, slightly bigger than shot glasses, would that be ok too? I'm swiss so I can easily get one next time I go visit my mum

That will do as well :) Just let me know when and I can give you the address info! Thanks!

do you like kitsch ones as well Josh?
I'm not doing much travelling these days but next time I'm in Schwarzwald (Black Forest) you'd be in luck ;)

Yes, those will work too. Same as above :)

Veign: Thanks for looking :) Much appreciated. and again, thanks to all who help with this. As I said, they dont HAVE to be a funny named place, but it does help :)

schnappize

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I live in missouri an my daughter collects shot glasses an I have a friend in idaho that collects them also if you would like one from here let me know, an you can recpricate with one from wherever you are.

tino10452

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey there! I also started my collection of shot glasses from cities I visit...
If anyone can help me iI'll be thankfull...
I still ned glasses from those cities:
- Rome
- Vatican
- Venicia
- Tokyo
- Kyoto
- Osaka
- Hiroshima
- Praha
- Vienna
- Salzburg

Thank you a lot guys