ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need to track missing space on my Hard Drive

(1/2) > >>

icekin:
I've suddenly lost about 13GB of space on my hard drive. Its literally lost. WinDirStat and Treesize report that the size of all the contents on the drive is 10GB. The drive is 27GB in size. Yet, I only have 4 GB of freespace. Somehow, there resides a set of files or folders on my drive that is occupying about 13Gb and is invisible to windows. I would like to know if there are any tools that I can run from a CD, loaded into RAM at bootup that can track missing space on my hard drive.

I am going to give spacemonger a try, but I am not too hopeful, since these space hogging files are missing from Windows itself.

cranioscopical:
FWIW, when something goes sour here on XP, forcing an ungainly reboot, I sometimes find large files in %temp that Windows can't see but that I can deal with from DOS. The amount that you're missing sounds about right for that.

icekin:
I've tried the reboot, no use, it only freed up a further 1GB. I still don't know where 12GB went. I have not narrowed it down to a suspect: Rollback Rx.

I tried changing a setting in the program to prevent it from taking snapshots of some of the drives. I remember opening Rollback and under the snapshot history, it had a proposed snapshot of 16,000 MB! I deleted that snapshot right away, but I still have not got my space back. I'm thinking of uninstalling rollback, but unfortunately, I need the snapshots. Does anyone know where the snapshots themselves are stored?

Carol Haynes:
Try running CHKDSK C: /X /R /V from Start Run and when prompted restart your machine.

If that doesn't do it try using a boot time defrag utility (such as PerfectDisk). You can often lose space on a disc when parts of the disc are incorrectly marked as in use in the FAT. CHKDSK and a boot time defrag should sort it out (hopefully).

Ampa:
Have you tried looking at the drive with a partition manager? It could be that, for some reason, the partition size has been truncated.

Perhaps not - but it is another angle to try :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version