ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My New website ...

(1/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
My new website is up ... check it out and let me know what you think.

See:

A bit of background - I live in very rural sheep country in the North of England. Most of my clients are going to be locals in the area so I wanted to kee the site pretty simple and a bit 'naive' or even a bit 'folksy' with some humour as I am not trying to pretend to be a high powered international conglomerate. (There is someone in a neighbouring village who describes his one man band as 'international' and the web site makes it sound as though he is running MS or Google rather than from his home - I don't think that helps around here).

Any way constructive criticism welcome (be kind  :-[!) ... I had to get something up and running. I plan to change the Products and Services pages into a more branched structure with more detail on specific ideas I have but I thought this would serve to get me off the ground.

mouser:
I like it a lot.. very fun and inviting and charming.

I imagine if i was local to the area I would have a very comforted and happy feeling finding your site.  :Thmbsup:

Dormouse:
Lovely part of the world.

Clearly fine as an initial website. I agree with Mouser's impression. And clearly identifies you as embedded in the local community.

My natural inclination was to click on the sheep, though; so I'd make the sheep a button too. I'm always slightly irritated by having to look for the enter button. In practice,I prefer having the menus available on the first screen, but that may just be me.

I'd also add Linux to your list. You may not feel expert - but you can tell people how expert you feel - and most problems will probably be within your compass. And there won't be many locals who will actually want support for a Linux machine, anyway. But it would help the impression that they can take all their computer problems to you.

Good luck.

Deozaan:
My natural inclination was to click on the sheep, though; so I'd make the sheep a button too. I'm always slightly irritated by having to look for the enter button. In practice,I prefer having the menus available on the first screen, but that may just be me.
-Dormouse (April 25, 2008, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had to scroll down to see the "Click here to enter" link, which I think should be a big "no no" for a website. Just to give you an idea of how "bad" this is: My resolution is 1280x1024. My browser window isn't maximized, but it takes up most of the screen. Dormouse's suggestion would help, but I think you need the "Click to enter" somewhere up higher so people can see it and know what to do.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks guys for the helful and positive comments.

If I make the sheep active as a link it ends up with a box round it - anyone any idea how to remove that in CSS or Dreamweaver? I looked everywhere fort he option but couldn't find it. Tickling the sheep was my original intention!

Thanks too to cranioscopical for his helpful comments via PM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version