ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Slowed Down My PC

<< < (4/4)

Carol Haynes:
Not been my experience - the only times I have had ATA drives revert to PIO mode have been from disc errors (eg. scratched DVDs). In every case the PIO mode was only applied to the drive with offending disc - even though there were two drives on the cable. AIUI ATA100 cables should clearly distinguish between drives because they have separate connections to each drive on the ribbon.

bob99:
Carol,

I think my brain also reverts to PIO at times so let me ask...
When you say "bad blocks on discs" are you meaning blocks on the CD/DVD disc or hard drive disc?
I've heard people use "disc", "hard disk", "disc drive", etc interchangeably at times.  Do it myself if I'm not careful.
If you are meaning hard disk, could there still have been bad sectors on the hard drive chkdsk didn't report.  And I know bad sectors can pop up at any time.
I need to read up on IDE channels to get an understanding.  I am typically a pc user.  And learn "what is under the hood" as needed or when problems occur.

Thanks again!

Carol Haynes:
If you have run a CHKDSK on your discs with full checking of data and non-data areas (the /R switch) then every block on the hard disc visible to Windows has been checked and any errors will have been fixed unless there is a phyiscal problem with your hard disc and it is generating bad blocks at random, or a problem the controller built into the drive, or a problem with you IDE interface on your mother board!

If you have run CHKDISK C: /R and it comes up clean and your drive is now in DMA mode then I would suggest not worrying too much. Perhaps give it a quick check again in a few days and look in your system logs for any problems. If you don't find any issues put it down to experience - it is just one of those things.

If you find errors cropping up regularly you will need to investigate a bit harder - cross that bridge if/when you come to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version