topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Total Commander 7.03 for Windows released!  (Read 19979 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Total Commander 7.03 for Windows released!
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:13 AM »

Total Commander 7.03 for Windows released!

April 24, 2008: Total Commander 7.03 is now available for download. This update mainly fixes errors found after the release of Total Commander 7.02a. We recommend that you install the update as soon as possible! The 16-bit version for Windows 3.1 has also been updated to version 6.57 to fix some errors.

Please download Total Commander 7.03 (Shareware) now from our Download page!

The update is still free for all registered users (also of Windows Commander) - please check our update instructions.

Features in Total Commander 7.03 now include :

* Two file windows side by side
    * Multiple language support
    * Enhanced search function
    * Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
    * Quick View panel with bitmap display
    * ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
    * Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
    * Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
    * Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
    * Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
    * New: Updated interface+icons, compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
    * And many more!

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Total Commander 7.03 for Windows released!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:58 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!

The best filemanager IMO ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:55 AM »
i'm liking the new look more & more and i just learned that even the menu names can be changed!.. :Thmbsup: should have spent more time on this program.

TC 7.03 - my configuration
ws-tc-1.pngTotal Commander 7.03 for Windows released!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:51 AM »
Great program.  Before DOpus, I used TC all the time.  Even now, TC is faster and better for certain tasks.  I've always thought that it had the fastest and most efficient mouse navigation setup of all the the file managers.  I've even requested similar features for DOpus on their forums several times, but nobody else was interested.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:37 PM »
But lanux, the blue icon highlighted in the toolbar of your TC setup is not from Total Commander, nor the orange one in the far right... ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:59 PM »
But lanux, the blue icon highlighted in the toolbar of your TC setup is not from Total Commander, nor the orange one in the far right... ;)

well spotted, my friend. ;) actually those two icons are there for easing me into the TC setup. the blue one is for custom view (à la Salamander) while the orange icon is to open the current folder in Salamander. it shows how configurable TC has become. (maybe it always has been that way but i've never tried it in the earlier versions).

anjan_oleti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:45 PM »
TC is faster and better for certain tasks.  I've always thought that it had the fastest and most efficient mouse navigation setup...
Could you please elaborate?
I use Dopus, and would like to check out TC
Anjan Oleti

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:41 PM »
TC is faster and better for certain tasks.  I've always thought that it had the fastest and most efficient mouse navigation setup...
Could you please elaborate?
I use Dopus, and would like to check out TC

Well, I went into excruciating detail in a thread at the DOpus forums, but I'll just quote it here as well:

I know there are already a lot of options for the left, middle, and right-click when in Power/Detail mode. But for the past 2-3 years of using DOpus, I keep missing some options that would really help make mouse navigation better. I keep going back to the way Total Commander handles mouse clicking...it's just a lot easier and faster than any combination I've tried with DOpus. This is the best combination that I have experienced, and I'll describe it in detail:

Left-clicking:
left clicking selects a file, but you can't drag the mouse to select more files. If you drag, it will act like you're trying to drag&drop the file somewhere else. Furthermore, let's say a group of files are already selected; if you then left-click on any file, it doesn't alter the selection at all. As in, it doesn't add that file to the selection, nor does it clear the current selection. All it does is move the rectangular outline (which means that it is the current file; it's different from a file being highlighted). See the first picture for an example.

Middle-clicking
Middle-clicking doesn't really need to do anything. The only reason why I tried middle-clicking options in DOpus is because I couldn't get the left and right clicks to work the way I wanted, so I had to put some functionality into the middle-click to make up for it. I don't particularly like using the middle click, because it's a wheel and all. If the left and right clicking works like I'm saying, middle clicking will just be a nice luxury to have, but not essential. That's what I love about DOpus, all the options.

Right-clicking
Right-clicking should just be what DOpus already calls "Normal drag-select". However, the one thing TC does that is nice is that if you hold the right button down for like a second, then the right-click context menus pop-up. That's nice because when you're drag-selecting, you don't want to have the context menu popping up. But sometimes, you do want the context menu, without altering the selection. So holding the button is a good way to do this.

Anyway, I really hope this can be implemented. It's the only thing left in TC that I miss.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:13 AM »
2superboyac
You forgot about:
- Shift (or Alt) + LMB drag -> move,
- LMB drag + quick RMB -> move,
- Ctrl + Shift + LMB drag -> Create shortcut,
- Shift + RMB drag -> drag menu -> Copy, Move, Create Shortcut, Cancel and associated app menu (ex. WinRAR).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:00 PM »
2superboyac
You forgot about:
- Shift + RMB drag -> drag menu -> Copy, Move, Create Shortcut, Cancel and associated app menu (ex. WinRAR).
-fenixproductions (November 08, 2008, 06:13 AM)
I didn't forget.  I just don't use those.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 01:23 PM »
- Shift + RMB drag -> drag menu -> Copy, Move, Create Shortcut, Cancel and associated app menu (ex. WinRAR)
-fenixproductions (November 08, 2008, 06:13 AM)

Wow! Thanks fenixproductions! I knew about the first three, but not the (very useful) fourth one  :Thmbsup:
I'll have what she's having

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 04:48 PM »
I am not too impressed with Total Commander, although I know many people swear by it.  I use Speed Commander or Free Commander.  I purchased Speed Commander before Free Commander came out, but they are almost the same, Speed Commander is more reliable and complete.

Total Commander for PocketPC is incredible.

Speed Commander (Shareware):  http://www.speedproj...commander/index.html
Free Commander (Freeware):  http://www.freecommander.com/

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I'd love to buy SpeedCommander (I loved it when I ran a trial last year) but it is SOOOOOO expensive... Not the most expensive file manager out there, but close!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 05:12 PM »
The reason why people swear by Total Commander is the following:
--Really cheap with lifetime upgrades/updates/etc.
--flexible license, you can use it anywhere (work, home, both)
--Fast!!  It's simple and super fast.

It is a tad quirky, so if you're looking for more normal file managers, then you move on to something else.  I moved on to DOpus.  I wouldn't necessarily go to SpeedCommander, it's not worth it.  I'd go to XYPlorer and DOpus before SPeedCommander.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 05:27 PM »
2superboyac
You're right about these reasons but there are more of them. For me: plugins and keyboard oriented work are the most important features.

BTW What do you mean by "normal"?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Agree with Superboyac about TC - I do have a licence for it and it is all that he says. I only ran the trial for SpeedCommander for a week or so - realised that there was no way I was going to spring for it so uninstalled it. Like superboyac, I am a DOpus user... It's AWESOME. So is XYplorer...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 06:59 PM »
@fenixproductions:
A lot from TC's interface is borrowed from the old and trusty Midnight Commander in Linux. Also the keys function practically the same.

This is all nice and dandy but I don't think that is a good thing. In my own experience, Putty and MC are very helpful when doing some file managing on a Linux machine (using a Windows PC). But I honestly don't know why the key-layout is like it is.

Speaking for myself, I hate this layout...and TC uses the same layout. For a Linux guy that has to work on a WIndows machine, the TC key-layout will feel like 'home'. Well I'm sorry, but I will not voluntarily suffer this key-layout using native Windows software. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in this.

Selecting of drives in TC 'feels' and functions very much like windows 3.11. There is a good reason why computer users hailed the interface from windows '95 and above. For me that method really does not compute anymore.

All this gives makes TC not "normal" (again speaking for myself). TC's look and feel works for a lot of people and that is a good thing. For me it does not work at all and almost any alternative will be used by me before I even consider to entertain a thought about installing TC, let alone using it. Again, I know for a fact that I'm not alone in this.

Having used DOpus since it third edition (yes, on the Commodore Amiga home computer) you will have an extremely hard time convincing me otherwise. Yes, I know you can change the look and feel from TC to a great extend, expand it with plug-ins etc.,etc.

Here in South America Linux rules and I get 'ridiculed' by my friends here (almost on a daily basis) for using DOpus while they are TC die-hard's. But I honestly feel that I'm way more productive using anything else than TC. If TC makes you more productive, all power to you.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 07:27 PM »
A lot from TC's interface is borrowed from the old and trusty Midnight Commander in Linux.

No, not at all. Both TC and MC are clones of Norton Commander.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 08:14 PM »
A lot of TC's functionality (keys also) is borrowed from Northon Commander and that's the way it worked for a long time. As I used to say: TC is for keyboard- and DO for mouse-oriented people.

Having used DOpus since it third edition (yes, on the Commodore Amiga home computer) you will have an extremely hard time convincing me otherwise.

Little BTW. It is always strange to me reading about better DO's interface since Amiga times when I see something like this (v. 4)...

DOpus.pngTotal Commander 7.03 for Windows released!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:17 PM by fenixproductions »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 09:15 PM »
fenixproductions,
Shades explained pretty accurately what I meant by "normal".  In TC, you can just tell from the UI that it does not exactly conform to the way regular Windows file managers feel and look.  Like Shades said, a lot of people prefer a more Windows-like feel to their file manages.  Personally, I don't mind TC even though I use DOpus 99% of the time.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 05:48 AM »
2superboyac
I understood that.

Unfortunately: most of the people judges book by it's cover.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 06:31 AM »
I jumped from Dopus to TC when they released a new full version and the cost for upgrading 2 computers was a bit much.

Since then, I have realized that TC is far superior. It just take some time getting used to it.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 11:17 AM »
@fenixproductions:
No offense of any kind was meant in my previous comment. And I agree that the DO interface from the image in your comment doesn't look like much, so books are not judged on cover alone.
The true beauty from this version of DO was that each of the buttons could be adjusted in functionality, hotkey and location. Actually, you could assign more than one function to a button. And if you were adept with AREXX and had software that supported AREXX you could use the accessible functions from that software directly in DO without opening that specific software. It was even possible to not use the default routines from DOpus but use similar routines from your favorite piece of software.     

Today's file-managers (incl. DO 9.x for PC) do not even come close matching the raw power of that version and they never will because of hardware architectural differences.

What is totally beyond my grasp...why do I have to use F8 to delete something when there is a beautiful button called 'Delete' on a keyboard that is (more or less) in the same position already for more than 15 years?  :tellme:  UNIX roots? Come on, give me a break! In my opinion, anything that takes getting used to has a structural/basic design flaw.

<off-topic>
VIM is in the same class of software. Pure power with functionality beyond belief...but it is hard to grasp (for me) which key-combo's have to be pressed to access all that power. Ha, rubber fingers are almost a requirement to use VIM.
</off-topic>

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 01:04 PM »
What is totally beyond my grasp...why do I have to use F8 to delete something when there is a beautiful button called 'Delete' on a keyboard that is (more or less) in the same position already for more than 15 years?  :tellme:  UNIX roots? Come on, give me a break! In my opinion, anything that takes getting used to has a structural/basic design flaw.

:tellme: :o

I'm a Total Commander user and I can confirm that selecting a file and then pressing the "Delete" key will in fact delete the file. Actually, that's the key I use, I don't think I ever used the F8 key to delete a file in TC
I'll have what she's having

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 04:43 PM »

:tellme: :o

I'm a Total Commander user and I can confirm that selecting a file and then pressing the "Delete" key will in fact delete the file. Actually, that's the key I use, I don't think I ever used the F8 key to delete a file in TC

I was wondering about that comment, too, though I don't think Shades was referring to either Dopus or TC. Possibly DC under Amiga?