topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Total Commander 7.03 for Windows released!  (Read 19981 times)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Total Commander 7.03 for Windows released!
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 05:19 PM »
2Darwin
I think he was. TC by default has functions keys button bar visible at the bottom with "F8 Delete":
http://www.ghisler.com/picture.htm

That (and remapping Fs) was the first thing to change by me few years ago. Since then I've been giving a chance for other filemanagers from time to time and the speed was always main issue. The longest try I gave to DO but it didn't win with my nerves.

2Shades
I know that DO on Amiga was really powerfull but it's features were never resurrected again. In my opinion they should change the name of it because it is nothing like before.

And what "UNIX roots"? AFAIK Total started as NC clone but even DOS Navigator (now open source) had the same keyboard configuration. Both of them were written for MS-DOS. After all even Midnight Commander is described as NC copy according to the Wikipedia article.

BTW Why should I bother with other manager when TC works for me very good? Because it's ugly or behaves different from explorer? Well... I want it this way. That was the first reason why I started to looking for something else.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 08:54 PM »
@fenixproductions:
It was also not my intent to convince you to change from favorite file-manager. You just asked a question why (a lot of) people do not perceive TC as "normal".

Since I belong to that group I tried to explain. During the writing of that I might have included too much emotion. For that I'm sorry.  :-[  (also for the lack of research to my 'UNIX roots' claim)

Actually, I agree completely with your suggestion for the name change of DOpus. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:57 PM by Shades »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 10:52 PM »
2Darwin
TC by default has functions keys button bar visible at the bottom with "F8 Delete":
http://www.ghisler.com/picture.htm
-fenixproductions (November 09, 2008, 05:19 PM)

;D I just fired TC up and sure enough - you're right. I'd totally managed to forget about that :-[ Incidentally, Altap Salamander is the same... and SpeedCommander (if memory serves), now that I think about it...

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 02:16 AM »
2Shades
No offend taken.

I think that this "F8 issue" might be not such bad design at all. Many managers handled deleting by Del key so the question is: what about Fs?

Possible answer would be to give the users most used functions on them. That could explain why there is additional Delete.