ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

priority settings question 2

<< < (2/3) > >>

garnet:
2) get yourself a nice hard disk for video; sata or scsi hd, separate from the operating system hard drive.
-mouser (October 24, 2005, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

With a sata or scsi hd setup, if you go to save a file does the other hd show up in the save/as dialog
box. I've never used such a set up.
Both of your advices make sense. Thanx...
I wonder then if i invest in two extra hd's: one to compile the files and the other to render them too; so that when one is reading the other is writing and all the while the operating system hd is unencumberd. Does this sound plausable?

garnet:
Thanks for the program, thanks for the forum.
All is well. Installed the program and ran my pc under various normal to extreame loads. I set the high trigger to 50% and the smoothing to...i guess 40%. Set some rules. All programs seemed to run better at the same time.
I want to understand how a processor/operating system allocates tasks and manages its' capacity and what i can do to help this along.

My website is about a year old and will be updated someday soon. http://www.members.shaw.ca/fishpub/

Carol Haynes:
With a sata or scsi hd setup, if you go to save a file does the other hd show up in the save/as dialog
box. I've never used such a set up.
Both of your advices make sense. Thanx...
I wonder then if i invest in two extra hd's: one to compile the files and the other to render them too; so that when one is reading the other is writing and all the while the operating system hd is unencumberd. Does this sound plausable?
--- End quote ---

It all depnds on your system. What have you got at the moment?

SCSI drive can be quite expensive (compared with IDE and SATA drives) and you will need a new interface PCI card to connect it to.

Depending on what you have at the moment you may be able to plug in a SATA drive or an IDE drive, and it should simply show up as an extra drive letter. If you partition it it will give you multiple extra drives.

I don't think you really need to have a source drive and a rendered drive. The reason for having an extra drive is to make the editing smooh and efficient. You can render the file anywhere at pretty much the same speed - for this the HD isn't the bottleneck in the system, it is the amount of data to be processed.

Here is my setup, it is by no means perfect but it is one idea. The partition size could do with tweaking a bit!

garnet:
thanks... i will think about this for awhile.

mouser:
again, a video editing pro will be able to talk for hours about tweaks and optimizations,

but the simplest path to best gain in performance wrt hard drives is probably just to have 2 so that your temp files are on a separate drive from working files, or so that you can have source on one drive and target file on another.  and having a very fast drive (sata would be nice) would make a big difference as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version