topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: priority settings question 2  (Read 12336 times)

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
priority settings question 2
« on: October 24, 2005, 12:21 AM »
I have a 1000 mghz amd cpu and 512 meg of ram. I am planning to do video editing. As rendering the movie file takes so much work and time for the cpu, how would i control my processes and have just enough power left to do some word editing or internet browsing?
Could i set all processes to low and have those related to the rendering set to high and still have a stable system?
What settings would be appropriate?

Garnet Andrew Goudey

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: priority settings question 2
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 04:00 AM »
You will probably need to set the rendering to the lowest setting possible while you want to use the computer for anything else and then bump up its priority when you can leave it unattended.

Depending on how the software is written you may find setting the rendering software higher than normal makes your system almost completely unresponsive to keyboard or mouse.

I have a variety of video rendering programs and they all behave differently. Some allow you to set priority within the application (eg. TSUNAMI DVD Authoring software allows you to specify a priority if the application window has focus and if it is in the background - you can therefore automatically switch from, say, Idle to High Priority with a single mouse click on or off the window - though if it is in High Priority it can take a couple of minutes to respond to the click! As a result I have TSUMAMI ignored in ProcessTamer as it handles itself well). Other applications assume they are working on their own and hog all processor time it can get and you will find that for hours on end the system won't respond to anything (except the reset button).

In process tamer I would suggest you use Force Low on the program. Then when you want it to resume normal operation (ie. you don't want to use the computer) right click on the PT icon and disable it - that will restore the Normal level. If you want to use the computer re-enable PT and the app will be foreced low again.

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:20 AM »
Thanks Carol
I am a little ways yet from being setup yet. I see that i will have research as i go. Any other tips on setting up a computer for video editing
I see that you have had fun in my expansive country. I live on Vancouver Island on the west coast.....Garnet.
Garnet Andrew Goudey

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 12:25 PM »
Thanks Carol

You're welcome  :D

I am a little ways yet from being setup yet. I see that i will have research as i go. Any other tips on setting up a computer for video editing

I am not the best person to advise because I don't follow my own advice ... but ...

Generally for audio and Video editing the perceived wisdom is to have a separate installation altogether (preferably a dedicated computer).

If that isn't possible, then a separate Windows installation is a good way to have clean system to work on. By that I mean have a dual boot system.

With Windows 2000/XP this is dead easy as multipboot support is there 'out of the box'. Just create a second partition using a suitable partitioning tool (such as partition Magic) alongside your existing windows installtion, and run Windows installation. when given the oppotunity during the install elect to choose the location of the installation and point at your new partition. Go through the whol process and next time you start up you will have a menu of which version of windows to boot up into.

Second part of this is to remove as much crud from standard windows as you can get away with (look for windows optimization tips on the web - particularly which services and processes can be safely disabled) and use the fastest drivers you can find, esp. for graphics and audio.

This negates you first post as you now have a dedicated platform for audio and video production but it will work a lot more efficiently.

For Video/Audio work it is also worth tweaking your system further ... move your page file to a separate hard disc, and if your applications need a scratch working folder if at all possible put that on a third hard disc. It is good if you can have a dedicated scratch disc that can be regularly formated. Ensure that compression and indexing are switched off on all drives too.

If all this is too much you can compromise by installing on your normal working Windows installation but things will run slower and you may suffer glitches - especially when previewing edits. Best thing here is to try and keep your scratch work area off the windows partition on a separate disc (preferably dedicated). If you can't afford dedicated disc then ensure you get a good defragmenter (such as Perfect Disc) and defragment your discs regularly, esp. before you start doing Audio/Vidoe work. Also be conscientious about clearing rubbish off your hard disc - it is amazing how quickly even large hard discs fill up with crap when you are dealing with large AV files).

I see that you have had fun in my expansive country. I live on Vancouver Island on the west coast.....Garnet.

Yes, my parents live in Ontaro and I have had a few good trips including some excellent canoe trips. Ontario is canoe heaven as far as I am concerned. I am no longer bothered about doing too much white water, but I really enjoy being able to get out in the wilderness for a few days with just a paddle and a tent for company ... (not to mention the bears!)

I'd really love to get over to BC and the Rockies, and one of these years I want to get to the ski areas (particularly Fernie).

However, the place I would really like to visit is the Mount Elias Range, up near the Alaskan border - but I have to accept I am probably getting too long in the teeth to be able to cope in such a wild and inhospitable environment these days. The thought of waiting days on end for good enough weather for a light aircraft to get in, and then waiting even longer to get out is probably more for the young! I can still dream though ...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 12:45 PM »
i'm not an expert in such things, but there are a few hardware things that you should consider:
1) make sure you have plenty of ram (1gb)
2) get yourself a nice hard disk for video; sata or scsi hd, separate from the operating system hard drive.
3) fast modern cpu.

keep in mind i dont have any experience in video editing, these are just some things that seem likely to me to yield the biggest payoff in terms of bang for the buck.

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 08:18 PM »
2) get yourself a nice hard disk for video; sata or scsi hd, separate from the operating system hard drive.

With a sata or scsi hd setup, if you go to save a file does the other hd show up in the save/as dialog
box. I've never used such a set up.
Both of your advices make sense. Thanx...
I wonder then if i invest in two extra hd's: one to compile the files and the other to render them too; so that when one is reading the other is writing and all the while the operating system hd is unencumberd. Does this sound plausable?
Garnet Andrew Goudey

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 01:19 AM »
Thanks for the program, thanks for the forum.
All is well. Installed the program and ran my pc under various normal to extreame loads. I set the high trigger to 50% and the smoothing to...i guess 40%. Set some rules. All programs seemed to run better at the same time.
I want to understand how a processor/operating system allocates tasks and manages its' capacity and what i can do to help this along.

My website is about a year old and will be updated someday soon. http://www.members.shaw.ca/fishpub/
Garnet Andrew Goudey

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 04:07 AM »
With a sata or scsi hd setup, if you go to save a file does the other hd show up in the save/as dialog
box. I've never used such a set up.
Both of your advices make sense. Thanx...
I wonder then if i invest in two extra hd's: one to compile the files and the other to render them too; so that when one is reading the other is writing and all the while the operating system hd is unencumberd. Does this sound plausable?

It all depnds on your system. What have you got at the moment?

SCSI drive can be quite expensive (compared with IDE and SATA drives) and you will need a new interface PCI card to connect it to.

Depending on what you have at the moment you may be able to plug in a SATA drive or an IDE drive, and it should simply show up as an extra drive letter. If you partition it it will give you multiple extra drives.

I don't think you really need to have a source drive and a rendered drive. The reason for having an extra drive is to make the editing smooh and efficient. You can render the file anywhere at pretty much the same speed - for this the HD isn't the bottleneck in the system, it is the amount of data to be processed.

Here is my setup, it is by no means perfect but it is one idea. The partition size could do with tweaking a bit!

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 09:58 AM »
thanks... i will think about this for awhile.
Garnet Andrew Goudey

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 10:09 AM »
again, a video editing pro will be able to talk for hours about tweaks and optimizations,

but the simplest path to best gain in performance wrt hard drives is probably just to have 2 so that your temp files are on a separate drive from working files, or so that you can have source on one drive and target file on another.  and having a very fast drive (sata would be nice) would make a big difference as well.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 10:24 AM »
garnet - i just visited your site - i love the collages!
are those your pieces?

garnet

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 08:44 PM »
indeed.
i have been working for years on them but have only managed to publish six images so far.
maybe next year i can get some more out.
thanx.
Garnet Andrew Goudey

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 05:25 AM »
Yeah - cool, I really like them ... DO SOME MORE  :Thmbsup: