ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron? Hardly

(1/2) > >>

zridling:

Sam Varghese takes the newest Ubuntu release (8.04) to task for its buffet of completely annoying bugs that have been patched elsewhere. This is the problem with sticking to fixed release schedules, something that Red Hat doesn't hold Fedora to, nor do most other distros. So if you're installing it on a laptop, beware as usual.

If you're installing it, share your experience.

Lashiec:
Yeah, as soon as it was released, the forums were boiling with people complaining about the bugs. I understand Canonical has to meet some deadlines, but being a LTS release, it couldn't hurt to push the release date one or two months in the future, they did that before with 6.06, now they're confronting serious problems and something as strange as having beta software acting as the default browser. At least they didn't make KDE 4 the default desktop for Kubuntu.

Well, let's wait for SP1 ;D

Edvard:
Oops, I didn't see your post when I made mine.
As you can read, I opted for the Windows install at work, I'll keep you posted on my install at home.
Too bad I don't have a laptop to burn...

MrCrispy:
And people wonder why Linux is still not a desktop OS of choice? I know its just one distro but its probably the most visible one and recommended for people new to Linux.

urlwolf:
I upgraded to 8.04 (andlinux) and it borked anything java-related. In my case, netbeans, which is a must.

Working under linux warrants you will be losing about one day of work per week chasing bugs and googling config files, at least in the initial period. The TCO of linux is that: time.

Still, it may well be worth it (once it's properly configured in a mythical day called tomorrow).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version