topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: All Startup Programs Have Been Started  (Read 5321 times)

domfair

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: All Startup Programs Have Been Started
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:00 AM »
I searched to see if this had already been requested and didn't see it.  Basically something to notify the user that all startup programs have been completed (or started).  This would allow people with a lot of startup programs (everybody?) to know when they can really start using their computer after bootup.  There could be a popup that says "All startup programs have been initiated" with a timeout or maybe a tray icon that shows yellow while programs are starting and green when they are complete (or all started).

Anyway, thanks for all the great software and keep up the good work. (2XL is one of my favorites)
Thanks.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: All Startup Programs Have Been Started
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:15 AM »
I searched to see if this had already been requested and didn't see it.  Basically something to notify the user that all startup programs have been completed (or started).  This would allow people with a lot of startup programs (everybody?) to know when they can really start using their computer after bootup.  There could be a popup that says "All startup programs have been initiated" with a timeout or maybe a tray icon that shows yellow while programs are starting and green when they are complete (or all started).

A check for 'completeness' is not even possible (some programs have a built-in delay that a 3rd party program knows nothing about), but you could use Startup Delayer (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1399.0) to see when everything is launched (and delay entries for optimized performance). There's a graphic indicator on your desktop while it's delaying stuff so you see when everything had been started.

Try it. :)

domfair

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Skrommel has already made a small coding snack called IdleRun that I think will do what you want. I haven't used it myself, but the description says you can place it in your startup folder to find out when your computer has finished loading.

domfair

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Thanks, but couldn't get that one to run.  I get a "Could not extract script from EXE" error.  But it does look like what I was suggesting.  I will see if I can compile the script myself to get it to run.

Either way, between these 2 apps, it looks like there are already tools for this purpose.