topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: QuickNote Add???  (Read 8777 times)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
QuickNote Add???
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Would you believe I only JUST tried out this feature that has been partially implemented for a looooonng time?  It would ROCK!  Any idea if you will be getting it working anytime semi soonish Mouser?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: QuickNote Add???
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:38 PM »
The reason i never really got around to adding it is because it became clear to me that CHS should not try to compete with the hierarchical notetaking applications.  I originally thought i might make it a combo cliptool and notetaking app.

However, thinking about the issue a little more here is what i was thinking:
What if i added a kind of reduced functionality quick-add clip feature.  When triggered it just lets you paste in some text, and it copies this text to the clipboard and adds it to the recent clips group.  So basically it's just a really quick and dirty way to add a clip to the list.  Maybe with checkbox to flag it as a favorite.

Thoughts?

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:48 PM »
The reason i never really got around to adding it is because it became clear to me that CHS should not try to compete with the hierarchical notetaking applications.  I originally thought i might make it a combo cliptool and notetaking app.

However, thinking about the issue a little more here is what i was thinking:
What if i added a kind of reduced functionality quick-add clip feature.  When triggered it just lets you paste in some text, and it copies this text to the clipboard and adds it to the recent clips group.  So basically it's just a really quick and dirty way to add a clip to the list.  Maybe with checkbox to flag it as a favorite.

Thoughts?

While I can understand you don't want to get into trying to make CHS compete with a dedicated app, Im not sure it needs to.  For instance, that QuickNote Add feature is the single feature I have been trying to find a simple notetaking app that had, and none that I have seen ever had it.  It is just about perfectly what I have been wanting.  An example, I am on the phone and want to jot down a note and save it.  With that I can just press my hotkey and take it, then later I can go back and put it where I want it.  Ideally, you would be able to select a default location to store QuickNotes.  I added a new top level folder called "Notes", I would love to be able to select that as the home for QuickNotes, then when I add one it goes in there by default.  From there, I can do what I want, including pasting them into my "real note taking program".

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:29 PM »
that QuickNote Add feature is the single feature I have been trying to find a simple notetaking app that had, and none that I have seen ever had it. It is just about perfectly what I have been wanting.  An example, I am on the phone and want to jot down a note and save it.  With that I can just press my hotkey and take it, then later I can go back and put it where I want it.  Ideally, you would be able to select a default location to store QuickNotes.  I added a new top level folder called "Notes", I would love to be able to select that as the home for QuickNotes, then when I add one it goes in there by default.  From there, I can do what I want, including pasting them into my "real note taking program".

Isn't that most good note taking do anyways ? EverNote, SQLNotes, etc. : press a key, jot your note, and that's... it. And with these other notetaking programs, there are some auto filtering capabilities that could put your note in the right place  as soon as you press enter.

IMHO, I'm not sure energy should be put in such a feature.

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Isn't that most good note taking do anyways ? EverNote, SQLNotes, etc. : press a key, jot your note, and that's... it. And with these other notetaking programs, there are some auto filtering capabilities that could put your note in the right place  as soon as you press enter.

IMHO, I'm not sure energy should be put in such a feature.

Evernote: No, I don't want the entire interface coming up.  I just want a simple little box where I can type in my note.  Like the QuickNote feature in CHS. 

SQLNotes: No idea, can't stand the program.  Couldn't get past the first 30 seconds with it. 

Haven't found any other program that does what QuickNote does.  As for spending the energy, from what I see it is mostly spent, just needs a little more to make it save the note.  Why not go ahead and finish it for those of us that would use it?  To be honest, regarding the auto filtering thing, I don't want the program deciding for me.  I will put it where I want it, thanks.

Edit: Oh yea, back to EverNote.  I tried to like it, really I did.  I even used it for a while.  I just hate the tape thing, I prefer the old tree view type note program style.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 11:28 AM by Tekzel »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:58 PM »

if you're pasting it it should already be in the recent clips group from just having copied it (?) - presuming CH&S is running
I wouldnt want the favourite option either - it would be nice to keep it seperate, keep favourites from getting cluttered.
Maybe with checkbox to flag it as a Note?

or as Tekzel suggests

... a new top level folder called "Notes", I would love to be able to select that as the home for QuickNotes, then when I add one it goes in there by default.
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Why not go ahead and finish it for those of us that would use it?

I agree, no problem. Edit : but I'm not mouser. And so...

To be honest, regarding the auto filtering thing, I don't want the program deciding for me.  I will put it where I want it, thanks.

Well, if you're the one who sets the autofiltering, you're the one in control, not the program.  :huh:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:25 PM by Armando »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 04:01 AM »
The quick note add feature has now been added in the latest beta.