ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Xnview vs. IrfanView - integrity issue examined

<< < (6/8) > >>

rgdot:
Speaking of IrfanView, does it have good archive file support? XnView's is so-so at best (There are Explorer replacements like AcBrowser that can not only open archive files but give thumbnails previews of image inside but wondering about IrfanView)

fenixproductions:
2rgdot
IV forum seems to be down.

AFAIR such feature was "no no" for a long time on Irfan's board with explanations that IV is not filemanager but viewer and there is no reason for supporting it. There were also some voices that it is stupid to keep images in archives (nvm trolls ;). It looked like no one knew about comics (CBZ, CBR) after all.

For now Google shows some archived posts from February that this is planned and author is working on implementation. Few months passed and nothing more has been posted since then :(

rgdot:
@fenixproductions, thank you very much for the info.
I guess in some ways the lines between a filemanager and the likes of Irfanview are blurred, if it is as much about organizing existing images as it is working on them (resize, crop, etc.) then a filemanager can prove just as useful.

CleverCat:
I changed to Xnview because of the Directory Tree - which I prefer!  ;)

tomos:
For convenience I have Microsoft Office Picture Manager 2003 as default; it is by far the fastest to use when I need to crop or resize an image.-Curt (May 29, 2009, 08:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

For me Imagine plugin plays such role but that's because I am Total Commander junkie ;)

EOT
-fenixproductions (May 29, 2009, 09:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

lets see, hmmm EOT, lol - end of transmission I guess?

I'm wondering does having the viewer as a plugin solve the problem that most (independent) viewers have of not following the sort order of the files in the file manager? -
I mean (e.g.):
if you sort by date the viewer will still work it's way through the images as though they were sorted by file name

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version