topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: title bar shortcuts  (Read 13600 times)

Earthcoder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
title bar shortcuts
« on: April 23, 2008, 05:13 AM »
Hello

I am looking for a program, and searched the net loads, that i can add custom programs to the right click menu on a title bar, or even little icons across it that allow me to add custom programs.

mainly as some programs i use dont have menu's there just a title bar, would be handy to have a menu there so can load notepad or something else quickly

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: title bar shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:08 AM »
You can us e fileBox eXtender.
That should fill the need.

http://www.hyperioni....com/files/index.asp

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:28 AM »
You can us e fileBox eXtender.
That should fill the need.

http://www.hyperioni....com/files/index.asp

can filebox extender add links for programmes ? (how? :)*)
or do you mean to simply add the folder to the list and then select the exe file :-\

* had a look at their webpage and didnt see anything..
Tom

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:42 AM »
It should be able to open programs and not just folders.
From the help menu-

This window pops-up when you click on either the New Item… or the Edit Item… button of The Favorites Tab. Here you can set properties for target text, or the shortcut you're creating. For complete details of how to edit item Properties, see the New Item / Edit Item Dialog box help topic.

Target text or shortcut
Enter one of the following into this field:

v      The path to the target folder (where you want the file box to switch after you select that item from the Favorites menu). You can either type in the path or click the Browse for a Folder button to select it from a window.

v      The path to the target file or document. When selected from the Favorites menu, this item opens that file (in any File|Open boxes) or (in File|Save As… boxes) it saves your current document using that as the filename. You can either type the name or click the Browse for a File button to select an existing file name from the browse dialog.

v      Enter any text that you want, which FileBox eXtender enters into the file name part of a file box, and then press the OK button for you to try to open or save the name immediately. You can also type a file filter expression, for example *.ZIP to list all ZIP archives, or *.TXT to list all text files.

v      The path to a program you would like to run from this item, when selected from system tray menu, or from a button on Explorer window. If you would like to add command line parameters, enclose the program path and name into double quotes, then follow to enter parameters. For example, to start Notepad.exe file and open a file named test.txt in C:\ directory, enter here:

"c:\windows\notepad.exe" c:\test.txt

while to start empty Notepad window, it is enough to enter:

c:\windows\notepad.exe

(double quotes are not needed in this case).

Item description
Into this field type:

v      The text (title) that should appear in the Favorites menu to describe this item.

v      FileBox eXtender automatically recognizes if the target text is a valid path to a file or folder. If it is valid, FbX creates system shortcuts to them. These display as small documents or "folders with a heart" icon in the Favorites menu editor. Or it will display them as text items (listed with a T icon in Favorites editor) if Target text or shortcut does not contain a valid path to a file or folder.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:51 AM »
wow!
thanks cmpm :up:
I'll have to try that out
Tom

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 07:22 AM »
mainly as some programs i use dont have menu's there just a title bar, would be handy to have a menu there so can load notepad or something else quickly

It's not what was originally asked for...but then again FileBoxExtender doesn't add icons to all windows (does it  :-\?)

KO Approach will let you set up specific folders and items that can be accessed from the title bar of an Explorer window:
folder_menus.gif

I don't use KO Approach at the moment, but I when I did it was very handy. There are a couple of other useful plugins for use in Explorer as well.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 07:25 AM »
....and:

Isn't this what Barnacle can achieve?

Earthcoder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:56 AM »
i tried Barnacle  but came up with cant find exe, so tried via autohotkey, and it could not find a rtf file

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:13 AM »
FileBox eXtender will only do it's tricks inside Explorer - in third party windows the only options are On Top and Roll Up.

The Barnacle version that I just have tried wouldn't extract script from exe. (?)

Because you want this feature in third party programs, I would guess it is impossible - though skrommel's Barnacle implies it can be done. My suggestion would be to get a launcher program (study this DC thread) with a auto-hiding toolbar at the edge of the screen. This way the links will never be too far away, though not at hand, but they will always be there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:18 AM by Curt »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:30 AM »
You could also make a folder with the program shortcuts you want and dock it to the side of your screen.

There should be a title bar folder but there isn't.

Curt's suggestion for launchers is a good one.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 10:44 AM »
If I understand what you want, PowerPro can do it.  I have it set so that one or more buttons pop up on the title bar of particular windows.  Most of mine run window-specific scripts, but you could use them to launch programs.

If you get interested in PowerPro, make sure to look at the Yahoo! Groups.  There are two, a main group and a beginners' one.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Yes Powerpro can do it. That is one handy program.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Sure, PowerPro can do it, but ....
I (too) gave up understanding how to use this weirdo!
Take the advice and visit their userforum!!

Earthcoder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 06:11 AM »
PowerPro is great tool, worked well, But its a nightmare to setup, got massive headache and still trying to work it all out!

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 01:09 AM »
I just setup similar thing you were asking., It works great. Long live Powerpro