ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows is Trying Hard to Push Me Over To a Mac...

<< < (4/4)

Jimdoria:
This may be redundant, but have you ruled out hardware issues?

I had a lot of freezing/crashing issues with one of my XP machines until I ran MS's memory testing utility and found that one of my RAM chips was failing some of the tests. Replaced it and my system's been much better ever since.

Bad hard disk sectors could also cause issues like you describe.

mediaguycouk:
Should be easy enough to tell. Turn on the laptop holding the Ctrl key (I'm fairly sure it's ctrl, if it isn't it is the Fn key) and then run the memory test.

J-Mac:
This may be redundant, but have you ruled out hardware issues?

I had a lot of freezing/crashing issues with one of my XP machines until I ran MS's memory testing utility and found that one of my RAM chips was failing some of the tests. Replaced it and my system's been much better ever since.

Bad hard disk sectors could also cause issues like you describe.
-Jimdoria (April 23, 2008, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't ruled anything out yet. Brand new, and just starting to give me trouble.

Oddly enough it sounds like you and I just went through very similar hardware issues - but on my desktop PC (the other one I whined about in the first post!)

However the blog post by Ed Bott that Carol posted a link to mentions that a lot of users are seeing very similar issues and only solve it by reinstalling the OS.  Also, I am finding a LOT of folks posting the exact same Event Viewer.MMC Snap-in problem as I am seeing.

Grrr...

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version