ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows is Trying Hard to Push Me Over To a Mac...

<< < (2/4) > >>

J-Mac:
Nope - desktop is a Falcon Northwest Mach V purchased in June 2006; that one has had some time to really drive me crazy.  Already replaced two Seagate SATA internal 500 GB drives, the multimedia cardreader three times, the graphics card - an nVidia Geforce 7900 GTX was just replaced last month with a GeForce 8800 GT, and the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Music was replaced six months ago.  Never saw so many damn parts fail.

Dell notebook is less than two months old.

Jim

J-Mac:
BTW, I was so sick of Dell that I shopped for a nice custom-built PC. That's how I decided on Falcon Northwest.  Reviews of their machines are always perfect.  Leave it to me to get a lemon.

And I wasn't about to get another from them when I was shopping for a notebook.  Dell has upgraded their notebooks quite a bit since  I jhad last purchased, and this XPS was on sale.  Ha!

Jim

mediaguycouk:
I like whining so I'll jump in.

I spent Christmas with a work macbook to try and learn it (my job is in IT support). I spent my time making a flash media server security module and a flash video player to communicate with it. After Christmas I just love my windows pc more.

OK, so the first couple of days were the generic 'how the hell does this work' stuff, but it mostly wasn't. OSX crashed every time you close the lid while connected to VPN. The speed of connecting to a share is at least 3 times slower than on XP and twice as slow as Vista. Also Flash would crash every 30 minutes or less. It was practicatlly a case of saving the file every time I clicked on a new frame or did a preview as I would expect it to fail.

My other half has just got a M1330 and it is lovely. Currently quick, she likes the fact that her old games are working on it despite being unsuitable for Vista and she has got the hang of vista quickly.

My recommendation for your laptop? Get your discs out and put Vista on it again, install your apps and get yourself a copy of Ghost / TrueImage / etc and make yourself a nice rescue disc. Partition your space to give you a applications and documents on different hard drives and then you can recover a new operating system any time it goes bad.

It probably won't, but it just gives you the oppotunity to thrash and trash the OS whenever you like.

Fred Nerd:
Vista problems:
Was reading a bit about them on Ask Leo the other day. Try a reinstall of Vista. This isn't just the usual "try rebooting advice", retailers are finding that they have to reinstall Vista as a pre-delivery on all computers since otherwise they have way to many fail like you are describing.

The article is pretty recent on www.ask-leo.com, so it should be easy to find. Hope that helps.

Carol Haynes:
You are not alone.

How about this article:

--- End quote ---

See: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=429&tag=nl.e539

for the full article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version