topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 12:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Long distance  (Read 7088 times)

Prep

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Long distance
« on: October 23, 2005, 04:14 PM »
I need help for someone that is 18000km from here and he is using XP Home, a bit of a tall order. As I’m on 98SE, and without problems, it is rather difficult to assist him. I’m trying to get him to use SC and sending him bit by bit pics of the Preferences, ie still in the setup stage. I’ve been writing mht instruction manuals to help him but it is heavy.
That is already extremely difficult as he is on AOL, and my IP does not allow any emails to be sent to AOL. Another story. He is 80+yrs old and to crown it all Wilma is around the corner.
His first report is that after he’s done some selections, upon reloading SC all the settings revert back to the original defaults. This must be XP or Administrator issue? Am I on the right track?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Long distance
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:26 PM »
yes you are.

sc tries to stores its options in its directory so it does sound like the problem could be that he doesnt have permission to write to that directory.  you could have him just move the entire screenshot captor directory to one of his normal directories (or even his desktop) and run it from there to solve the problem.

another alternative to solve your larger problem of helping him might be to install a remote control application that would let you just log into his machine remotely and help him set up his computer directly.

Prep

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 06:09 PM »
Thank you mouser, now I have the answer but to get to the solution may just be a little too high tech. Murphy's Law in total command.

As for remote help - I suppose you do require telepathy or should it be parapsychology to keep everybody happy all of the time, you're spot on. That would have been the perfect solution. I've been surfing heavy lately for such facilities and found SkyFex but still worried about all the security risks.
By now I'm completely OT but at least I know where to go...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 06:16 PM »
www.gotomypc.com seems like the focus on being easy to use.
i've also noticed some of the ads here are actually being useful (omg - did i just say that?)

open source people think highly of realvnc i think, but it may be a bit too technically challenging for a novice.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 08:46 AM »
I have been using LogMeIn for awhile now - it's free and very simple to use: www.logmein.com

Prep

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 02:14 PM »
Thanks folks for the tips, I'll surely check them. Much appreciated.