ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Fujitsu Scansnap S300 - Looks Nice; Anyone Using One?

(1/4) > >>

J-Mac:
Since reading this review for the Scansnap at Lifehacker I've been interested in it.  Though if it is not quite as good as advertised, it's a lot of cash to lay out for a relatively limited scanner.

It only scans documents - no photos - and only outputs to PDF files.  It has software that apparently is something like Paperport, though I would imagine it is more like a Paperport "Lite" version.  Virtually all reviews I have read thus far have been glowing.  Extremely portable, it really does sound great for pure document scanning, though I will have to also maintain another scanner for my photos. My Canon MP830 handles those well enough.  This scanner is NOT TWAIN compliant, so you it will not be recognized by your applications as a source for scanned documents.

Is anyone here using this, or another model, Fujitsu scanner?  I'm curious to hear from folks I know rather than just reading reviews.

Thanks!

Jim

patteo:
I have tried a Scansnap Color image fi-5110EOX.

Yes it is indeed fast and if you have a ton of loose-leaf double sided documents that you want to convert to PDFs, this is a wonderful device.

It is fast and quite trouble free although at times it would pull a couple of pages together in a single pass. And it scans both sides in a single pass.

It allows you to select compression vs quality.

But the trouble is how many (me included) have a ton of loose-leaf double documents that you want to convert to PDFs.

So that's the deal breaker for me.

It is also as you rightly pointed out - Non Twain compliant - which is another deal breaker.

And if you got a book from which you need to scan a few pages or many pages for that matter, would it tear your heart out if you had to tear the pages to scan the pages with Scansnap ?

I'll stick to a Canon Twain compliant LED flat bed scanner.

J-Mac:
Thanks patteo!

Actually I do already have a Canon, which is a decent scanner. But...  for the kind of very fast document scanning and filing away of a large number of documents, the Canon's not so good.

Jim

Dormouse:
I've had a lot of scanners over the years, including a number with document feeders.

I now have a ScanSnap (I think mine is a S500). There is no comparison with previous scanners. It is massively fast and convenient. I use it for almost anything that comes in that I don't want to lose. Lots of post etc, as well as documents. I now regard it (or something similar) as a must have and, if it goes wrong, I will replace it immediately.

Occasionally it will feed more than one page at a time (as do all feeders). I have heard that sometimes they deteriorate and need of of the feed rollers replacing. I've also heard that some machines have a problem with this from the start. Mine seems fine.

Not at all cheap, but well worth the money.

tomos:
should point out the 300 may not be as fast as the others commented on?
I've no personal experience but there's a comparative review of docu-scanners including the S300 in c't (german language) magazine last month - I like their reviews - they're more like user reports
In terms of speed it gets a "satisfactory", less than most of the others, but then they mostly double the cost.

"Good" for OCR quality (included software is Abbyy FineReader 7.x)
"Poor" for graphics and for "Noise measurements"
and commented:-
generally "delivers good results"
from what they say, probably wouldnt be suited to heavy-duty office work but you're probably okay that way :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version