topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Avant'age addon for FF  (Read 17236 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Avant'age addon for FF
« on: April 19, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I am confident that Mozilla will set up yet another Firefox Extension Coding Contest later this year, so I was thinking it would be fine to start out early, in order to maximize the chances of winning the contest!  ;)

There are so many useful addons for Firefox. Never the less, I will often choose to use Avant or Maxthon instead. The feature, I want to encourage 'you' to write for Firefox, is a default feature in Avant: the floating toolbar that will show up when you mark something on a page - you do not have to right-click; just mark and point!

The floating toolbar looks like this:

floatingtoolbar1.gif

And the options are, from left to right:

Copy Highlighted Content - Search the selected text in Internet - Search the selected text in the current site - Find the next occuremce of the selected text in the current page - Highlight the selected text in the current page - Save to local disk - Copy URL to the clipboard - Open in new window - Send in an e-mail + (in tab): Save selected region as image.

"Save to disk" will auto- create, insert & pre-name the file:
floatingtoolbar2.gifAvant'age addon for FF

I know you can have some of these features in other addons, but no-one else has (as far as I know of) combined so many useful feaures into a single extension - and no-one else has made them available in a floating toolbar, except of course for the Image Toolbar extension; the others all use the context menu instead. In my little head Avant is way ahead Firefox and everyone else, when it comes to this little market, so I would very much like to encourage 'you' to author an extension for Firefox to match this Avant'age!
 :tellme:

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Avant'age addon for FF
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Curt, you may like to take a look at hyperwords, it does what you ask, apart from the toolbar - it uses the context menu, and has a lot of other options as well, translating, currency conversions searches in various places.  http://www.hyperwords.net/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 04:50 AM »
HyperWords really is good, and I am surprised that I had forgotten about it.  :-[
Thanks for reminding me!  :up:

Hyperwords for Windows (including Internet Explorer/IE) will be available Summer 2008.
:)

However, in my opinion a floating tollbar would out-manoeuver HyperWords.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:51 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 06:19 AM »
 :D

- the TIMING!!!  :Thmbsup:

Automatic Context Menu in Firefox

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 03:05 PM CDT

Do you find yourself using the right-click/context menu in Firefox rather frequently? If so you might benefit from having the menu automatically appear whenever you highlight some text on a site. For some people, including myself, that can be a huge time saver.

If that sounds like something you’d like to setup just take a few seconds to install the Auto Context extension in Firefox. You can completely customize the menu that automatically appears, which is a great opportunity to break free of the menu items that you never use. The menu that you’ll see by default is already quite slim though:

firefox-auto-selection.pngAvant'age addon for FF

As you’ll notice in the screenshot above this extension also makes performing a search faster by listing all of your search engines in their own menu. Your default search engine is show as its own entity, but again this is all customizable in the options.

Get the Auto Context Extension for Fireofox: https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/5714

Copyright © 2008 CyberNet |
-CyberNet Technology News

- but it won't install on my pc!  :(

Edit2: Oh, I am too slow to understand, and typing too soon...:  :-[
Auto Context Extension is not needed, when you have HyperWords. Wow!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 07:35 AM by Curt »