topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google Chrome - What Will It Take  (Read 21969 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Chrome - What Will It Take
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I'm posting to begrudgingly credit Google for releasing the source for their Google Updater application which has been one of the primary gripes about using Google Chrome. The build requirements are a bit much, and dissimilar to the requirements to build Chrome, but the source is there for perusal if you're interested.

Ehtyar.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 07:32 AM »
The only other company (i can think of) that uses a fully automatic (forced) update system is AOL. Google needs to have a really good look at that one simple point, learn from AOL's mistake, and then start giving people options.

AOL has managed to repeatedly hose large numbers of their own clientèle by forcing out patches that (Um...) didn't work exactly the same in all environments. I'll wager that it's only a matter of time before Chrome spits out a not quite fully tested patch and manages to flame-out a large portion of their user-base too.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what they do ... I'm still not going to use their browser. I just thought it would be fun to lump them in with AOL. :)

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Most people are probably aware of it, but you can always get a very recent version of Gooogle Chrome from which all the auto-update and call-home-to-mama-google features have been surgically removed. Works great for me and it is my standard browser for the laptop (since the UI is so space saving)- even online banking is no problem.
The tamed chrome version is SRWare Iron:   
http://www.srware.ne...ware_srware_iron.php

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I've used Iron from time to time (i think it's mentioned elsewhere in this thread) but frankly, Chrome just...sucks. I'm pleased that Google released the source of the updater, but I'm disappointed that I have one less thing to bitch about :P

Ehtyar.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 04:52 PM »
I'm pleased that Google released the source of the updater, but I'm disappointed that I have one less thing to bitch about :P

Heh, why even bother? Google Chrome is ugly like there's no contest, the idea of swapping tabs with the address bar just to be different is annoying (and contributes to the ugly look), it's new enough to be nothing but trouble for two years or so... and Firefox (plus extensions) keep me 100% happy.

...and the kind folks from getfirefox.com should plaster the above on their front page :)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 06:08 PM »
LOL. Sounds good. Petition to have Mozilla bash Chrome on their front page anyone? :D

Ehtyar.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Because mud slinging is the sign of true superiority.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 02:46 AM »
Because mud slinging is the sign of true superiority.

If Google Chrome displays the  :) and the  :D, all will be well and taken in good spirit!

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 05:45 AM »
Most people are probably aware of it, but you can always get a very recent version of Gooogle Chrome from which all the auto-update and call-home-to-mama-google features have been surgically removed. Works great for me and it is my standard browser for the laptop (since the UI is so space saving)- even online banking is no problem.
I've always found this (and similar projects) a bit ironic.  "Don't trust Google? Well try this version from someone you know even less about!"

It's great that Chrome is OSS and thus the community can fork it however they please, but as a user I don't feel any more comfortable.  I don't have the time to diff the source and ensure they're removing evil and not adding some of their own, and with there being multiple forks (and growing) it's rough for any of them to develop much of a community.

(I'm not targeting SRWare in particular, but all of the Chrome forks that claim to be less evil.)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 10:17 AM »
I've always found this (and similar projects) a bit ironic.  "Don't trust Google? Well try this version from someone you know even less about!"

It's great that Chrome is OSS and thus the community can fork it however they please, but as a user I don't feel any more comfortable.  I don't have the time to diff the source and ensure they're removing evil and not adding some of their own, and with there being multiple forks (and growing) it's rough for any of them to develop much of a community.

(I'm not targeting SRWare in particular, but all of the Chrome forks that claim to be less evil.)
So... do you apply the same reasoning to *nix and therefore not trust it either? ...Sooner or later you have to trust someone, even if it is just yourself.

I don't trust Google, becaust I don't trust Google. Sure the have a great search engine, and that's all fine and dandy. But I've yet to see any of their software that didn't have a noticable negitive impact on the machine it ran on.

I spend a lot of time dealing with client machines, some business, some home use. All seem to exibit the same (complaint/resolution) problems in regard to Google's software. If the Shell is dragging, uninstall Google Desktop, & Problem vanishes. Browser Dragging, Uninstall Google Toolbar, problem vanishes. I seen this pattern repete over and over again to the point that it is now a reflex.

Simply put, if I need a slew of benchmarking utilities to measure the impact that any given piece of software has on my machine ... Then I don't care what the impact is. However, if a given piece of software effects the machine to a point that is noticable during average use (especially by an average user) ... then that gets my full undivided attention. Google's software consistently draws the same level of negative attention hence there is no way in hell I'm going to waste my time futzing around with their ("Let's all Go Compute in a Cloud" oriented) browser.

SRWare I've never heard of, which (for this) is good as they haven't annoyed me (Google has) ... So I'm willing to take some time to experiment with their browser. It's been on my to-do list for a month or so, I just haven't had time. But my general impression of them so far is good.

...The enemy of my enemy is my friend ... meh, could be... ;)