ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Image for Windows

<< < (2/3) > >>

JeffK:
I find fun (and sometimes frustration) when the obvious software doesn't quite fit and one then can go scouting around the net for those hidden gems which can be relatively early in development but do what you want.  There is some good stuff coming out of Asia but I find  alot of the stuff I actually purchase is from Germany and Eastern Europe.

Jeff

Scott:
I can understand being disappointed when a certain feature isn't within the click of a couple buttons, but that's where perspective needs to kick in...

From what I see in the TeraByte Unlimited newsgroups, a lot of Image for Windows users don't use PHYLock at all.  (PHYLock is the special driver that allows in-Windows backups of the boot partition under WinNT/2K/XP/2K3.)  PHYLock is a driver that runs in memory all the time, as is the case with any competing imaging software that offers the same feature.

So, I think (and this is just my guess!) that TeraByte Unlimited doesn't automatically install PHYLock because:

* Installing PHYLock requires a reboot, whereas installing just Image for Windows does not.
* If you aren't going to use a special function (i.e. imaging of the boot partition from within Windows), you don't want an unnecessary driver running all the time, even if it is totally problem-free (as PHYLock has been for me).
* If you do want PHYLock, it's free, and incredibly simple to install.
* If you ever decide that you don't want PHYLock anymore, you can easily remove it completely.
* With PHYLock being separate, customers can update it independently if the need ever arises (i.e. without downloading and installing the whole Image for Windows package).
Just a thought.  :)

mouser:
i think you're right scott,
and i definitely respect the idea that this is a tool for power uses who may not want this driver installed if its not wanted.  i greatly respect that.  i would suggest thought that terabyte include the installer in the main download and put a button or link in the main program (or program group menu) to install it.

the manual is good - i'm going to update the review to be a little more positive about image as soon as i finish running some more tests on it and get my second opinion settled.

there's another issue that bears addressing
if you read the plugin guide for the PHYSLock addon that allows you to back up windows while it is running, you will find somet lengthy discussions about cautions/caveats of using it, and what to look out for.

i suspect that TeraByte deserves a lot of credit for this.  My strong impression is that all drive imaging tools use the same exact techniques and run the same exact risks/cautions, but to avoid scaring people they simply say "we can back up windows while it is running" and dont even bother to mention some of the difficulties and things to watch out for.

i have backed up my windows system while it is running dozens of times using TrueImage and restored it from backup many times and have never had a problem.  this great track record is one of the reasons i am so fond of Acronis Image.

BUT, that is not to say that there aren't issues to be concerned about  and TereaByte deserves credit for not shying away being up front and honest about the more delicate issues involved in backing up windows while it is running - and such an approach is going to be especially appealing to some people.

I will update the review to reflect these thoughts - and please do let me know if there is anything else you think I should mention.

mouser:
Image for Windows section has been updated - let me know what you think Scott.

Scott:
Thanks!  Looks fair to me.

Regarding the forthrightness of TeraByte Unlimited...  I agree.  One thing that has really kept me as a customer has been the fact that they don't hide things or mislead...  It's all on the table.  I don't see enough of that among software vendors.

The only thing I'd change is to correct the spelling of PHYLock (from "PHYSLock").  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version