ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Image for Windows

(1/3) > >>

Scott:
After reading Mouser's comments on Image for Windows in the backup guide, I wanted to give some quick comments on it.  I've been using Image for Windows for a long time now (along with all the other TeraByte Unlimited software), and it is the most-solid utility I've ever used.

TeraByte Unlimited was the first to include full byte-for-byte image validation to their products...  I'm not sure if the others have added that feature yet, but I personally consider it absolutely essential.  (I was burned long ago while using another product that didn't have it.)

I don't understand what is confusing about using Image for Windows.  To me, it's extremely straightforward.  The interface is absolutely no-nonsense.  I can see how a couple of the options need explanation, but the PDF manual is quite good, and TeraByte Unlimited support (not to mention other users) is always quick to offer advice.

I'm not here to slam other products, nor to say that Image for Windows is perfect (no software is).  But I've seen TeraByte Unlimited respond to user issues and suggestions, and it won me over.  Any and all substantiated problem reports are met with a positive response and solution, whether it's simply advice on product usage, or an actual update to the software.  Anyone who tests the software, and sends an email to support, will see what I mean.  I think that counts for a lot.

JeffK:
Thanks for that commentary, Scott.  I will check out Image for Windows again.

Jeff

mouser:
hi scott-

i 100% agree with you that good support mean a LOT.
and for a program like a drive imager i have a feeling that providing support must be a nightmare - most of the people that contact you are probably insane in a panick from a crashed computer and fearing they have lost their data.

i am going to take another look at Image for Windows and the pdf documentation..

i guess i make judgements kind of rapidly when i start using a program - i had a very negative initial impression with Image when i saw that it wouldn't back up windows while running, unless i downloaded some plugins from the site..

if this was a plugin i had to pay for i would have understood it, but given that this is a free plugin, it just blew my mind that this wasn't included in the install.. it just didn't make any sense and i immediately started off annoyed.

but let me take a breath and go back and give it another look.

JeffK:
I think your first impressions on the software you test are very important, mouser.  It's the same with me.  One has an idea in one's head about what a particular package should do and if it doesn't do it in a friendly and intuitive way then the demerit points start counting straightaway.  Better for us to have a "I didn't like it because..." then reconsider on more thorough testing then never publish our impressions because we haven't tested every detail.

To give a recent example, I received a promotion for a newly updated mind mapping program and downloaded the trial.  I liked the interface and began using it very quickly.  Nice look, very simple to add new topics and to format them.  Then I made a mistake and accidentally deleted something.  No problem I said to myself just do an "undo".  There was no undo functionalty.  No need for further testing ... Program closed and deleted off my computer.  It could be the best mindmapping program on the net, but it has no undo, to my mind a basic essential for such a program.

Jeff

mouser:
yes,

i think those of us who love testing software and install new software all the time, get better and better at recognizing applications that meet our way of working, and we get better and better about making quick judgements.  And we build up expectations about what a good program should do and how, and we can more quickly identify key features that are missing from our own personal requirements.

however, one then runs the risk of making snap judgements and coming to conclusions too soon, which i have been guilty of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version