topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Custom Pokemon making aide.  (Read 16300 times)

Ordstrin

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Ordstrin's Home
    • Donate to Member
Custom Pokemon making aide.
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:24 AM »
This isn't really your general run-of-the-mill application, I know. I thought I'd share it all the same.

Basically what this does is let you choose an element (or elements, up to 17 of them) for a pokemon.
After you choose your element(s) you click Create, it hums and harrs for a while then tells you what number to multiply (base) damage by depending on what element an attack is.

Pretty simple concept that took me a while to implement.

I may yet make a new program based on this that deals with more than just Pokemon (other RPGs and games use an element based battle system too).

Direct download can be found _here_

Screenshot:
PokemonTypeCalcScreenie1.pngCustom Pokemon making aide.

Misc. Details:
- There are no bugs I know of in this version, however it is a "beta" because this is the first time I've released it to the public.
- The program will be slow to start on the first run, due to it making a reference file.
- There is a logging option which creates a "log.txt" file in the program's directory.
- The log option sometimes will slow down the "creation" process, especially if you choose a lot of elements.
- The date format in the log is YearMonthDayHourMinutesSeconds. For example; 20090130172105 = 5:21pm (and 5 seconds) on the 30th of January 2009 (I simply didn't feel like making a nice looking date for an error catching log)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:18 PM by Ordstrin »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Custom Pokemon making aide.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:48 AM »
Interesting.

Is this for a creating a balanced pokemon hack?

Ordstrin

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Ordstrin's Home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:55 AM »
It is for whatever you like.
Basically it just gives you damage multipliers.
I should inclulde a screenshot I suppose... I'll edit the first post with one soon (ie. 10mins max).

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:24 AM »
If you don't mind, may I know what motivated you to develop the program? It's kind of interesting because it seems you are legitimately interested in the game Pokemon but at the same time it seems you're detached to the concept and just decided to use Pokemon as your base model to create this calculator.

Ordstrin

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Ordstrin's Home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:36 AM »
You may certainly know, yes. (especially since you asked like that!)

{RAMBLING}
I used to play pokemon, watch the tv series, I've got a heap of TCG stuff and I've seen some of the movies.

However all that was quite a long time ago (with the exception of Diamond & Pearl which I got out of the hopes that I'd have a good time-waster again).
{/RAMBLING}

So yes, I'm detatched from it, in the sense that I'm no longer really interested in Pokemon stuff. (apart for using it as material for a scraped-off-the-wall story on the rare occasion)

{RAMBLING}
I had in the past (during one of the aforementioned stories) wanted to know what resistances a certain set of elements would give a pokemon, so I did a heap of research and worked it out.

More recently I had a 20 minute story stint in a pokemon world (while i was in bed with nothing better to do, taking a rest) which of course meant that ended up spending 40 minutes researching afterwards (and failing to pick the story up again).
After all that research I remembered how I'd once "made" custom pokemon, with multiple elements.
{/RAMBLING}

So (in conclusion, after much rambling) I made this program more or less just as something to do (choosing this program as my "something to do" was mostly due to the above rambling).

I'm now up to Pre-Alpha 3 of my follow-up program. :D screenshot is... erm.. Here:
GameElementCalculatorPreAlpha2Screenie1.pngCustom Pokemon making aide.

Edit:
Can anyone tell me how to make the above picture a thumbnail?

Edit:
Thanks muchly Paul
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:21 AM by Ordstrin »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing that interesting story. You should be able to see a drop down arrow titled Link Inline Image... there should be an option to inline an attachment to a thumbnail.

Ordstrin

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Ordstrin's Home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:24 AM »
Thanks for that Paul.
Now if only I had someone to convince me that making that follow-up program is an insane idea that should be forgotten immediately...... >.>
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep programming it. I did spend far too long on it already to just drop it anyway...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 02:55 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what it does. Does it actually create a Pokemon you can import into your games or does it just display damage multipliers or what?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:36 AM »
It calculates damage although you still need to re-calculate. In that sense, you could consider it a Pokemon calculator in the same veins of how a scientific calculator is used.

Unless you really were into Pokemon, you might not get it. Around the time the third generation of Pokemon GBA games was released, Pokemon was no longer the SNES Rpg packaged with monster farming. There were lots of different values to take into account. EVs, IVs, Mood, Beauty, Element including the elusive Pokerus

This is all done in the name of multiplayer. I even think there was an online pokemon game where the only feature was to battle your set up Pokemon with the opponent's pokemon. Plus there are tons of Pokemon hacks including major changes such as this:

Pokemon Rocket

kaiakai

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 02:54 PM »
im looking for a program a freinds freind has that will let you manafacture and download fake pokemon and download them to the ds

Ordstrin

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Ordstrin's Home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 03:26 AM »
Unfortunately the best I can do right away is Ciro's Pokemon Maker (page seems to be down) over at PokeRealm.

I've uploaded a copy I got years ago, for you though. You can find it here. However from memory it doesn't do diamond/pearl.

~Ordstrin

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 02:00 AM »
im looking for a program a freinds freind has that will let you manafacture and download fake pokemon and download them to the ds

Try Pokesav. You'll also need some way to transfer your save files from your DS game cartridge to your PC and back.

It works with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, the latest games in the series.

kaiakai

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 12:39 AM »
thanks guyz

kaiakai

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:57 AM »
goodf news theres a site called whack a hack that is a spainish pokemon hacking site