topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Backup4All FTP Problems  (Read 8675 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Backup4All FTP Problems
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:32 AM »
This has been a major pain  :'( , and I'm only posting here in case someone has bumped into something similar and found a solution.  :tellme: :tellme: I've been in contact with the Backup4All developer, the Hosting provider, the router manufacturer  :( and we seem to be running in ever diminishing circles with most people excusing themselves, understandably, and saying it's not their responsibility.

OK: What's the story:
I've got a paid-up latest version of Backup4All Pro that I'm using, amongst other things, to back up off-site, via FTP, to my Windows hosted site at LunarPages.com.

No problems at all locally. Plenty of FTP problems though. B4A almost seems incapable of overwriting a file, not all the time, but when it fails (99% of the time) it always fails when it's trying to write a file that exists on the FTP server. It'll do an initial backup and FTP it to my site without problems. When I do another backup, it'll successfully FTP the next *.zip but fail with the catalog.

The B4A devs have investigated the log files and catalog and said the failure is caused by:
The problem is that the FTP connection is interrupted during the backup.
-B4A Developers

I tested B4A using some free FTP space over at 0catch.com and it performed fine without problems, using exactly the same backup job (just changing the destination).

I tried the FTP backup to my site with SyncBackSE and it performed without problems (obviously using the same FTP account: therefore it's definitely not permissions).

So I think I can presume:
  • It's not a router issue as SyncBack works on my site, B4A works on 0catch.com and Filezilla works on my site.
  • It's not a permissions issue as SyncBack works fine.
  • It's not my site, as SyncBack works on my site as does Filezilla
  • It's not B4A, as it works on 0catch.com

It can only be the combination of B4A and my site??? Is that possible  :-\

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:35 AM by Perry Mowbray »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Backup4All FTP Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:18 AM »
Just a wild guess : did you change your TCP/IP settings with any kind of "Internet Accelerator" ?  If Yes, try to revert to windows defaults.  Most TCP/IP tuning tools allow that, try for instance a free one : Ashampoo Internet Accelerator 2.
.merle1.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Thanks MerleOne: but no  :(

My best guess at the moment is some incompatibility between B4A and another programme running here... I'll just have to take some time and find it... tomorrow

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Are you using Passive mode FTP (http://www.backup4al...m/passive-mode.php)?  Passive mode works much better when going through a NAT router.   

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:24 AM »
My experience is that the version of Samba on the linux machine can pose problems (I have the exact same problem here in a "mixed" LAN network, only SyncbackSE is able to make backups)  :(  Still, I'm looking for an answer for this one.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:25 AM by Shades »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 04:27 AM »
Are you using Passive mode FTP (http://www.backup4al...m/passive-mode.php)?  Passive mode works much better when going through a NAT router.   

Definitely Passive. Even tried Extended Passive.

The dev asked me to try Active, but it didn't get off the ground.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 04:30 AM »
My experience is that the version of Samba on the linux machine can pose problems (I have the exact same problem here in a "mixed" LAN network, only SyncbackSE is able to make backups)  :(  Still, I'm looking for an answer for this one.

That's interesting. I didn't find any problems backing up to my NAS (once I got the temporary folder set correctly)  :)

Yes, this is definitely driving me crazy...

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Right now I'm a happy person, because I did find a solution (to my problem at least ;D).

http://areca.sourceforge.net/ is the way.

Not such a nice GUI (in version 5.5.5.5) but is very capable and once setup I can access it through the commandline for scheduled backups.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Right now I'm a happy person, because I did find a solution (to my problem at least ;D).

Right now I am too!  :D

The Backup4All developers identified that the FTP Server was not responding correctly to a SIZE command sometimes, they've amended their application and it works a dream!!

Mind you: it doesn't answer any questions  >:( Apparently it's a standard Windows2003 & IIS install, so why would it be mucking up just with Backup4All, or are all other softwares taking a similar approach to get around that "bug"??

But, anyway: the upshot is that the problem is fixed (and all the Help Desks were very helpful too)!