ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If you get angry about frivolous lawsuits by big company bullies you'll love..

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
This filled my heart with joy:

"Monster Cable Threatens Blue Jeans Cable, Gets Ass Handed Back"

Read the very long and technical and beautiful letter written by Kurt Denke’s who runs a small cable company to the Monster Cable company which tries to threaten them with a lawsuit..

..My observation has been that Monster Cable typically operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation, expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing agreement… I do not compromise with bullies and I would rather spend fifty thousand dollars on defense than give you a dollar of unmerited settlement funds...
After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1985, I spent nineteen years in litigation practice, with a focus upon federal litigation involving large damages and complex issues. My first seven years were spent primarily on the defense side, where I developed an intense frustration with insurance carriers who would settle meritless claims for nuisance value when the better long-term view would have been to fight against vexatious litigation as a matter of principle...Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it..."

--- End quote ---

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2008/04/16/monster-cable-threatens-blue-jeans-cable-gets-ass-handed-back/#more-10518

housetier:
Now that's legal speak I really enjoyed reading. Mr. Denke has a very good way of presenting facts and arguments. It's got a lot of fire but still seems to civilized!

If an open letter is the right way to respond remains to be seen, but it was worth reading  :Thmbsup:

nudone:
great reading.

i'll remember not to buy any monster cable (and try to look for blue jeans cable instead).

it will be interesting to know what happens next.

cranioscopical:
It's fun but -- and perhaps this is the whole point of it -- it almost forces Monster into a fight.

Good to see when people stand up for their rights. 

We should all do more of it with the way the world is moving.

mouser:
The story brings to mind the image of some school yard bully who goes up to the new kid at school to try to steal his lunch money and tries to scare by pretending to know kung fu, only to discover that the little scrawny kid he's chosen to threaten is a young bruce lee  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version