topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: W's RegCode/Serial Code Manager ver. 0.01 Released!  (Read 15701 times)

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • MIS -- Management on Steroids
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
W's RegCode/Serial Code Manager ver. 0.01 Released!
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:31 PM »
Hey,  I just created an application to manage your registration codes. (from all the software products you own)  It's in a rudimentary form but it, and more information can be found at http://www.bassclari...uctions.com/willsoft

This application allows you to enter/delete, view, print, and in near future, search for registration codes.  In essence it is a stand-alone way of interacting with a Access database.  Since I'm an MIS student for of the features will be added as I learn VB and as I find a moment.  Please feel free to make suggestions here or send them to me at [email protected].

It was written to solve a problem I had of managing all the regcodes that I have accumulated and print them out.
-No one instrument is more important than the other.  All are needed for the band to play.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:20 AM by bassclarinetl2 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: W's RegCode/Serial Code Manager ver. 0.01 Released!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:34 PM »
nothing on that page.

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:35 PM »
whoops.  forgot to add the folder.
-No one instrument is more important than the other.  All are needed for the band to play.

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:36 PM »
should work now

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Hi

Installed OK

One would have thought that a password entry to the program would have been the first priority to any such application.

Otherwise looks ok

A feature for the future would be the ability to copy via a click to the clipboard

Take a gander at pd-base

nogojoe.
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Looks useful.

If I may make a suggestion: Use mouser's ScreenShot Captor to take the screens of the program. It has some neat tools built in to let you blur out areas you don't want others to see and add annotations, etc., and it would make it seem a lot more professional than the current screens, which look like you used Paint to cross out the serials. I also suggest taking a couple minutes to type out more information about it here in the original post. Give people an incentive to click your link.  :Thmbsup:

Because it's version 0.01 I'm curious about it's stability and also what sort of format it stores the information in. For something as important as registration codes, you would need to be able to guarantee me that I could get my data if for some reason the program stopped working or was no longer developed or something similar.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:13 PM by Deozaan »

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:59 AM »
Hi

Installed OK

One would have thought that a password entry to the program would have been the first priority to any such application.

Otherwise looks ok

A feature for the future would be the ability to copy via a click to the clipboard

Take a gander at pd-base

nogojoe.

Like I say, more is to come.  Thanks for your feedback.
This is just a start.

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 01:08 AM »
Looks useful.

If I may make a suggestion: Use mouser's ScreenShot Captor to take the screens of the program. It has some neat tools built in to let you blur out areas you don't want others to see and add annotations, etc., and it would make it seem a lot more professional than the current screens, which look like you used Paint to cross out the serials. I also suggest taking a couple minutes to type out more information about it here in the original post. Give people an incentive to click your link.  :Thmbsup:

Because it's version 0.01 I'm curious about it's stability and also what sort of format it stores the information in. For something as important as registration codes, you would need to be able to guarantee me that I could get my data if for some reason the program stopped working or was no longer developed or something similar.

The version number is more arbitrary than anything.  (Sorry about that.)  I didn't want to give the impression that it was done (e.g. give it a version of one) and yet was concerned about giving it such a low number. 

As far as stability and the format things are stored in:  Its stable for me,  no code breaks, etc.  and all the information is stored in a Microsoft Access Database (*.mdb).   I think (being that the installer was created by VB express) the the Path is x:\Program Files\WillSoft\W's RegCode-Serial Number Manager (x being the name of your system drive) so the mdb should be in there.  Not entirely sure where the mdb is installed to, going to fix that and use by using NSIS to make the installer rather than vb express.  In the view mode there is a print button to create a hard copy of all the codes in the database.  If you have any suggestions, feel free to either post them here, or send them to me [email protected]

Thanks for your feedback.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:51 PM by bassclarinetl2 »

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:41 AM »
I have repackaged the application using NSIS so now the MDB should be easy to find.  I recommend uninstalling the previous one and installing the one here http://www.bassclari...m/willsoft/releases/

The password feature is forthcoming.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:18 AM »
Nice work!

EDIT: Now it appears the download link is broken on your site.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:21 AM by Deozaan »

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Nice work!

EDIT: Now it appears the download link is broken on your site.

It Works as of 10:00AM Pacific

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:17 AM »
One limitation (its access not me)  codes have to be <= 255 characters.  If anyone has suggestions on how to remedy this.  Please speak up.  Thx.  If you get an error, I am adding error checking to a future version.  Nevermind,  I found the problem,  Datatype for the field,  I need to set it to Memo rather than text.  Will show up in new version.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:23 AM by bassclarinetl2 »

artisti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 02:31 PM »
One limitation (its access not me)  codes have to be <= 255 characters.  If anyone has suggestions on how to remedy this.  Please speak up.  Thx.  If you get an error, I am adding error checking to a future version.  Nevermind,  I found the problem,  Datatype for the field,  I need to set it to Memo rather than text.  Will show up in new version.
-bassclarinetl2 (April 17, 2008, 01:17 AM)
thank you

artisti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 02:34 PM »
 :) :) :) :)thank you :D :D :D :D :D

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 02:40 PM »
School is taking my time so new version may take a while.  I intend to include password protection (albiet in plain text.  sorry but I have no clue about hashing, if you want to tell me how, please let me know), fixing the length of allowed fields, and adding Copy/Paste features.