topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: needed: unobtrusive "new mail!" sample  (Read 6142 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
needed: unobtrusive "new mail!" sample
« on: October 23, 2005, 05:59 AM »
Hi,

I'm searching for a new sample to notify me about new emails. I don't like the Windows standard and have used a combination of a few tones and a female voice until now, but want to use something different now.

I search for something unobtrusive, but I still need to be able to hear it when I play music.

What do you use?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: needed: unobtrusive "new mail!" sample
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 06:31 AM »
when i wrote my email review (https://www.donation...ailClient/index.html)
i provided some of the more subtle sounds i have found for alerting on new mail:
https://www.donation...ousersMailSounds.zip

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 07:57 AM »
Thanks, I will try to play with those. More suggestions still welcome. :up:

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Please excuse this off-topic message in reply to your suggestion 16 Oct to use Windows 2000 in preference to Win98SE. I have not yet learned how to contact you directly.
Thanks for your suggestion. I recently looked at Windows 2000 for what I want to do. It is currently a bit too expensive for three licensed copies but I'm watching eBay for a bargain. It seems to have some valuable new abilities and properties but I was initially put off by the information, whether correct or not, that Windos 2000 was based on NT and that NT could not be used for multibooting.
Thanks again. sword

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 05:30 PM »
Windows 2000 and XP both multiboot fine, and in Windows systems automatically set up the autoboot for you.

If you want to use Linux etc. then you will need an extra bit of software (like BootIT) to set up the multiboot (although it is possible to use grub toi boot windows too).

If you want to keep a Windows 98 install make sure you install Windows 2000 afterwards (not first) as Windows 2k/XP are aware of Windows 98 and ME but not vice versa.

The best thing about upgrading to Windows 2000 or XP is stability issues. If you are going to pay for an upgarde why not go straight to Windows XP, it is basically Windows 2000 with a few extra bits, but MS will be supporting it for longer and better than 2000 (eg. Internet Explorer 7 is porbably going to require XP, which implies later security patches will be aimed more at XP).

Do you have children, work in education, know someone with children, ever met a child? Then you may find you qualify for Windows XP educational pricing if you aren't using the computers in a commercial environment.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 09:00 AM »
when i wrote my email review (https://www.donation...ailClient/index.html)
i provided some of the more subtle sounds i have found for alerting on new mail:
https://www.donation...ousersMailSounds.zip
Thanks again, after playing around with those for some time, editing and changing stuff, I came up with some funny and maybe bizarre results - not for every taste for sure, but I think I found what I needed (for now). :)