ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who used up the bandwidth/allocated traffic for the month ?

(1/3) > >>

patteo:
I know someone who is one of four students living in a house.

They share a wireless network and based on the ISP plan they subscribed to, they have an allocated traffic of 50GB of high speed traffic per month and after that, the speed drops dramatically.

So each pays 25% of the cost.

What they have now is a situation of the 50gb being used up too quickly and everyone thinks it is someone else other than they themselves being responsible. Well obviously someone is visiting www.youtube.com etc too often.

Does anyone know of a freeware traffic monitoring tool that each can install on their computer that will track their respective usage so that there is a fair allocation between the various users that will lead to a peaceful co-existence. Preferably, there should be a traffic report that each can print out to support their case.

I recognize that such reports can of course be manipulated. But I will just assume that no one tries to beat the software. Just that all each one needs is a reliable "fuel" meter so that they know they are using up too much juice.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

mouser:
great question, look forward to seeing the answer.

Just to clarify for others, as i understand it what you have is multiple computers hooked up to a router,
And you want some sort of report that you can look at, at the end of the month or whatever, showing how much upload/download bandwidth has been used on each computer.

The solution could be a centralized program or a separate program running on each PC, and we are assuming that:
1) tampering with data is not really a concern
2) it would be useful if each PC could display its usage so that the user knows how much of the bandwidth they have consumed.

Nice idea, i can see how this would be useful.

johnk:
The free version of Netlimiter should do what you need (monitoring and a stats report).
http://www.netlimiter.com

manimatters:
Ive used NetNak (http://www.nakware.com/netnak/index.htm) for this purpouse, It even has daily and monthly warnings when the data recieved goes above a certain limit you set. But it isnt freeware

f0dder:
Btw, if it's wireless, make sure the network is encrypted so it's not abused by anybody else.

And 50 gigs of traffic, hmm... somebody's gotta be p2p'ing :) (ok, perhaps ~420 megs per person per day doesn't require p2p'ing, but still.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version