ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista Aero vs. Linux Compiz

<< < (15/15)

Carol Haynes:
MrCrispy: I don't like the trend that all software is moving towards a license+activation model rather than me owning it.... Modern computing is complex, but at least with Windows, it's the devil I know.
--- End quote ---
You're right: Microsoft has long had a subscription-type licensing model for business clients, and I hope they don't apply it to home users. If I want to use XP until 2010 or Vista until 2015, I should be allowed to do so (without support, of course).
-zridling (April 29, 2008, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

And there's the rub. If MS do go down a subscription route they will HAVE to provide support to subscribers otherwise they will find subscriptions cancelled. Under current models OEM users don't get support full stop and even full price purchasers get precious little support even when the problems are clearly bugs that MS haven't fixed.

wreckedcarzz:
I was able to get Compiz up and running on Xubuntu 8.04 today (have to start it twice, but its worth it). In a word, it is astonishing. I am clicking options on and off and dragging my slow-mo wobbling windows through a cover-flow style alt-tab interface with reflections and shadows following along. I haven't had this much fun with an OS in a while ;D

I think I'll be using Xubuntu a little more than Vista now :)

Josh:
So, does anyone have any new input on this product? Does it run well on many distros?

wreckedcarzz:
It runs great on mine, with closed-source official ATI drivers. Only problem is I have to run it manually at every boot via a command, but I could just add it to my Autostart list and let the computer do the work.

Works fine on Xubuntu with the proper setup - 5/5

LordDaMan:
Well, the system requirements for Vista Aero mention the presence of Shader Model 2.0, so they must be used for something :)
-Lashiec (April 23, 2008, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Look at any aero glass window. You'll see it's translucent, not transparent. That's a pixel shader in action right there.

I really believe the directx9 class card was more a requirement for the other parts of vista. If you have a directx9 class card, then you have full WPF acceleration. If you have a directx9 class card, you can accelerate movie playback. i think those had more to do with the requirements then a pixel shader used on each window

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version