ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista Aero vs. Linux Compiz

<< < (6/15) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Christ on a cracker ... I'm not even sure what topic to stay on at this point.

However...

As I'm apparently the only truly happy Vista user in the thread, I do have to say that Compiz win the eye-candy contest IMO.

But the purpose of the Vista desktop is not eye-candy, the purpose is that each rendered window is a independent 3D object that can be loaded, unloaded, manipulated & rendered in any size or location without affecting the underlying application. The pre-Vista bitmap rendered windows are/were nowhere near as forgiving or flexible. The eve-candy in Vista is just there to entertain the "kids".

I'm still doing battle with Slackware (sound) amongst other projects, because I see value in being familiar with thing *niX ... but I'm a Windows guy with no intention of switching.

To zridling I say thank you for sharing an interesting bit of information that I enjoyed.

Josh:
Stoic: I am one of the truly happy Vista users, I really dont see many problems with it.

Lashiec:
I've seen compiz runnnig fine on a laptop Aero refuses to run on. And compiz looks prettier to boot!
-nontroppo (April 15, 2008, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suspect the fact that Aero needs a DirectX-9 capable card (or integrated graphics processor) it's the answer to that. Of course, that does not mean Microsoft could have programmed it for older hardware, but considering Vista was a break in many aspects of the video system compared with older Windows versions, I think it can't be helped. Besides, considering the "Vista capable" debacle, perhaps it's all for the best that things are the way they are.

As Compiz uses OpenGL, it does not have those limitations. Ah, well, the wonders of a open API.

wreckedcarzz:
Defending Vista/AERO:

While the extra second or two for an effect to occur may be annoying, it can be helpful too. The little minimize animation can help you find a specific window later on by sliding it down to its taskbar button, for example. And seeing through the edges of windows can help you find things below the active program; maybe it is just me, but I used to love the feel of Windows 95 (a friend has a 95 laptop I use on occasion) but now I, personally, cannot live without the... appeal (if you will) of being able to enjoy Windows, and not just work with it. It is just so much more inviting.

[(somewhat) off-topic]
Can this Compiz be installed on any distro/are there certain hardware requirements? Where can I get it at? This has me interested to play around with now... :P
[off-topic]

Lashiec:
Mmm, most distros carry Compiz, either in their repositories or installed by default. Check up its documentation, but IIRC, you should not have problems with it (you have a Radeon 2600 Pro, don't you?), well, apart from possible driver problems. I wonder how good is the new RadeonHD driver...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version