ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Vista Aero vs. Linux Compiz

(1/15) > >>

zridling:
One of the things I've been impressed with from the start are the graphical capabilities on GNU/Linux. For example, programs that are coded — and not just ported — for Linux seem to have better graphics and UI than Vista. And while Vista's aero has grown on me, as has its customizability, the Compiz window manager is freaky-good.

Glyn Moody says: "I can attest to the fact that GNU/Linux is not just usable, it's a downright pleasure to use. In fact, I constantly marvel at how transparent open source has become: most of the time I'm simply not aware that I'm using it — it just works. This raises the interesting question: so what's missing? What more does open source need to do in order to capture the attention of the general user? I think the answer can be found on this YouTube video. As the aptly-named 'Digital Tipping Point' comments":

This video is a digital tipping point for several reasons. First, it is shows that Linux is now competing with market leader Microsoft's best products head-to-head on features. Second, this video is a digital tipping point simply because it has been viewed 3,312,062 times as of the time of this writing.

Carol Haynes:
LOL - Eye Candy is about right.

Trouble is Linux can compete on GUI Eye Candy but until serious software companies start producing Linux versions of software Linux is not really practical for the real world.

OK you can use it is an Office computer with Open Office - fine

Want to do anything with Graphics, Audio or Video - especially using pro type tools - then forget it.

I do think the video is disingenuous though - Windows is meant to be plug and play aware for hardware installation and in production versions of Windows it has (in my experience) done a pretty good job of acheiving that. A BSOD at a launch conference is pretty embarassing, true, but not as embarassing as Linux hardware support.

In order to run Linux effectively you have to buy hardware that is specifically supported - it usually isn't cutting edge hardware and in many cases you get an emulation of some clunky old hardware and non of the support for extra features for things like printers, scanners etc. just some generic driver that emulates an old Epson printer or similar.

Linux and WiFi - forget it unless you want to hunt down the odd adapter that works on eBay.

Anyway I thought one of the big criticisms of Vista was eye candy - why is Linux even trying to compete in the shallow eye candy stakes?

Sorry I promised I wouldn't write this response but couldn't stop myself.

f0dder:
Compiz is unstable anyway (OK, so it's a few months since I played with it), and once you've played with it for some days, you generally end up turning off the eyecandy because it's too distracting anyway.

Oh, and OpenOffice is unstable too, at least on Windows :) (unless it's because of ClipX, clipboard extenders can cause weird problems... then again, I had those problems before using ClipX).

Anyway I thought one of the big criticisms of Vista was eye candy - why is Linux even tryi9ng to compete in the shallow eye candy stakes?
--- End quote ---
Because they're all a bunch of hypocrites, and because it's funnier writing graphical effects than documentation and bugfixing.

Josh:
As stated above, I dont understand what the big fuss is. Linux still lacks in application usability, compatibility, and functionality. You can dress it up all you want but even if you polish a turd, its still a turd. The lack of sufficient documentation for almost every application, the lack of an easy to understand and operate interface or option set,  the abundance of bugs that are never fixed (check the age of some of the firefox bugs for an example), the feature wish lists added which are not added because none of the developers deem an idea as necessary. I can go on and on. There are several blaring issues that exist with linux which make it far from suitable as a desktop OS (I left out the biggest one, hardware support). Eye candy doesnt make an OS worthy, and I stand by this comment with vista as well.

Edvard:
Gee, for some reason I must have missed the boat here...
According to the reasoning of folks who in all likelihood may be much wiser than me, I should have a spare fire extinguisher, emergency radiation suit and life insurance policy upgrade because I choose to run Linux at home.
I do all kinds of stuff with my Linux boxes, and less (I said LESS) headaches than I ever had with Windows. Seriously. I won't go into details.

If anybody has such an Issue with Linux, I have a simple solution:
Don't use it.
I too, fail to see what all the fuss is, so let us fanboys happily compute away with an operating system that somehow magically works for us and nobody else.

Sorry I promised I wouldn't write this response but couldn't stop myself.
--- End quote ---
Spot on, Carol. I've already said once that I was going to take my GNU and go home. :nono2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version