topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Auto Set Low Priority Program for XP, etc...  (Read 7422 times)

nowshining

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Ugh! Hello! Anybody there?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Auto Set Low Priority Program for XP, etc...
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:58 PM »
A program to set all apps, etc.. Automatically on Low Priority - like Process Tamer but would make the Program itself of Normal Priority and the Task Manager of Normal Priority - or both of those could be user configerable if possible... or an option to either AutoSet the priority low or manually per application not determined on CPU usage...as this program wouldn't be based on the CPU usage at all...either that or process tamer can be implemented with this...:) or both... :Thmbsup: 'cause I'd like to have all apps AutoSet to low priority except for a few - I am getting tired of manually messing with ProcessTamer to do it manually... I hope u guys get what I mean.. :P
First site to ever donate to "THIS ONE RIGHT HERE" :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Auto Set Low Priority Program for XP, etc...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Why bother with setting non-CPU-gobbling process priorities?
- carpe noctem

nowshining

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Ugh! Hello! Anybody there?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:21 PM »
it keeps reources LOW and since all would equal being low priority = Faster Computer - Works great with PTamer - except I am getting tired of doing it manually...
First site to ever donate to "THIS ONE RIGHT HERE" :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:29 PM »
it keeps reources LOW and since all would equal being low priority = Faster Computer - Works great with PTamer - except I am getting tired of doing it manually...
If a program isn't using much CPU, changing it's priority is pretty meaningless - if a program sits idle in the background or is waiting for user I/O, it's not considered for scheduling, and thus doesn't fight other processes for the CPU. It really is only useful to adjust priority for CPU-gobbling applications :)
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:34 PM »
I haven't used Process Tamer in a while, but I'm pretty sure you could accomplish this with it. Process Tamer has an option for making itself and Task Manager high priority.

Then just adjust the options so that anything above 1% or something will lower the process. Something like that ought to do it for you.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 09:42 PM »
I haven't used Process Tamer in a while, but I'm pretty sure you could accomplish this with it. Process Tamer has an option for making itself and Task Manager high priority.

Then just adjust the options so that anything above 1% or something will lower the process. Something like that ought to do it for you.
Kinda silly though, as it doesn't help performance - and could in fact hurt performance. Consider a well-written application that does number crunching, and has set it's crunching-thread to BELOWNORMAL priority. By setting all process/thread priorities to BELOWNORMAL, all applications will be battling at the same priority level, rather than running normally and giving the heavy number-crunching thread less attention. This could result in GUIs performing sluggishly etc.

It's best keeping normal threads at normal priority, and only assigning lower priority to those ill-behaving processes that gobble up CPU and don't lower their own priorities.
- carpe noctem

SleepingWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:38 PM »
Prio allows this (you'll have to do a bit of work though unless there is a Select All option). I have not tested it yet though. I'm inclined to agree with the others.

"Prio - Priority Saver 1.99 - program allows you to save the priority you specify for any process"
-------------------------------------------

Question everything, use a fact-checker.
Respect yourself and respect others.
Peace out!