I have a classical "flickering" display problem on my Dell C840 laptop. Since I cannot understand if the problem is relate to the lcd or to the inverter or to che graphic adapter, maybe someone of you knows a good HW forum to ask for a suggestion (I know this is a SW forum, but all you people are so good in any computer stuff..).
Anyway I also tell you the symtoms, in case there is some advice here.
- the lcd flickers and shows random patterns
- it gets worse as time goes by (if the pc is cold it happens after 20mins, if it's warm it happens immediatley)
- it gets worse or better if I twist the base unit
- it gets worse or better if I lightly push or pull the lcd (see here http://www.youtube.com/v/AbHDsUnY5PA
- as the patterns on the screen get worse, at a certain point WinXP freezes and reboots
- I get the same problem if I connect an external monitor
- I get the same problem if I connect to the laptop via VNC or LOGMEIN (remote desktop). (I think this excludes the lcd and inverter, since it means that the corrupted patterns are sent via tcp/ip to a remote controlling machine....
- I tried with no success to change operating system, to work disconnecting all the disconnectable hardware, to change RAM dimms, even to change the whole motherboard
I suspect a video card fault (I think onboard video memory broken).