topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox : frames and other graphics disappear in DonationCoder.com's layout  (Read 12386 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anybody experiences that sometimes ? It only happens in firefox, not opera or ie. Seems like a Firefox bug, but can't nail it down.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
have you installed any extensions recently? if not, check the View menu to see if you had accidentally clicked on the "No Style" menu item. :)

ws-firefox-style-1.png

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Lanux.  :)

No, I haven't installed any extensions recently. And I also tried the "No style/Basic Page" thing before, but what I'm seeing is different than "no style". It's a bit like if the html code was not interpreted correctly or some stuff not downloaded properly (no textures, frames, background colors...) . And, strangely enough, it only happens with DC.  :tellme: It goes away if I close and clear my "private data" and restarts firefox. But it will come back eventually -- I haven't been able to pinpoint when exactly though.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hmm.. a case of bad cookies, perhaps? but you'd already cleared your "private data". try starting Firefox in Safe-Mode to see if the problem persists.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Sometimes something similar to this happens to me too. Usually it's when the page is taking a long time to load. I figure it doesn't properly load the CSS and a reload of the page usually fixes it.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing or related but just reloading usually works well for me.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Happens to me too - kind of a text-only mode (Web 1.0?). Reload fixes most of the time - a close of FF (I have it clean my "Private Data" on close) always remedies the problem.

Has this been reported to the Mozilla Bug Tracker?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
I've seen this happen when I've manually deleted the firefox cache, this gets the browser pretty confused.
- carpe noctem

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Strange, I use firefox all the time (2.0.0.13) but have never experienced that?
Are you using FF3 perhaps?

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I believe it's the "Lo-Fi" version of the page you are seeing.
That happens to me occasionally, not only here, but other forums as well.
I usually have to restart the comp if reloading the page don't work after a few tries.
And that's with Firefox as well.

Go to the bottom of this page-

http://www.thefreewareforum.com/

Click the 'lo-fi version'
and see if that is what you are getting.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks everybody.  :)

No idea what causes it.

@cmpm : Yes, it seems a bit like a "lo-fi" version of the page, but not exactly (from what I saw, lo-fi seems closer to "No style" -- the image I attaches is almost identical to the original website, just without fills, borders, etc.)...  I don't think that there's any lo-fi version for this website (DC) anyhow -- or is there one?

@Gothic : nope, I'm not using FF3... Just plain 2.0.0.13

Right now, after restarting firefox (and clearing the personal stuff) everything is OK, and it will probably be for a few hours, or a few days. So I'll have to wait for the phenomenon to happen again before I try the "safe mode" experiment or other tricks. It's not a huge problem anyways, just annoying to not know why it's doing that and won't stop doing it unless I restart firefox etc.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Strange problem.
My first thought was a stylesheet not loading.. but it almost seems like there's more going on...
Anyone experiencing this in any other browsers?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Armando: do you, by any chance, use a "crap cleaner"/tempfile-deleter application? And have you tried manually locating the firefox cache and deleting the files, and see if it gives the same result?
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I do use CCleaner once in a while, but never tried to manually locate the firefox cache.  As you probably know, CCleaner has an option of cleaning firefox's cache, and this could be the problem. Let's try...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK. f0dder, as usual you seem to be onto something here.  :) I cleaned the cache with ccleaner and... guess what? Yes.
That's it. What's your take on why it does that?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I run CCleaner and CleanUp at full settings (everything!) and this is unrelated to that. At least for my experiences...

Strange that Armando has issues with that :huh:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
My take is that the actual cached files get wiped, but that FireFox keeps it's list/database of the cache-contents somewhere else. So firefox thinks it has all the graphics and stylesheets cached, but doesn't, and doesn't re-load from the web when local cache-retrieval fails.

It's a guesstimate, but I think it would explain the behavior :)
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, that could be it.

Yet, I don't understand all the visible repercussions of this hypothesis...

I just restarted firefox and it seemed to work again... and then, restarted it yet again (just for the sake of experimenting)but this time cleaning my personal stuff using the firefox built-in security "clear private data"... After that (and it could very well be that it's totally unrelated) when firefox fired up, everything seemed ok. Then I clicked on a DC link inside a perfectly formed DC page (loaded when I started firefox : I have the previous sessions saved)   and... oops. No more fills and borders. Could it be that the "session saving" system saves all the pages somewhere else too and that further complicates the graphics  (local cache) retrieval matter? No idea.

Anyhow... I don't have more time to try elucidating that perticular bug this evening, but I'll probably try more stuff tomorrow. I'm intrigued. I'll also do a search on the WWW.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'm afraid i can't offer you proper solution but you can start research here: http://kb.mozillazin...rg/Category:Websites

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ctrl+F5 will do a full reload of the page (bypassing the cache). Try that before restarting.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good Idea nosh.
Here's the cache-

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wxzofc4h.default

2 of them on my computer.

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
Aren't you just missing the style sheet? See if you see it directly

https://www.donation.../Dc2/style.css?fin11

or if there is something blocking it from loading

[Edit]
Actually scrap that because the theme is loaded dymanically through javascript
Code: Javascript [Select]
  1. <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
  2.                 var smf_theme_url = "https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/Themes/Dc2";
  3.                 var smf_images_url = "https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/Themes/Dc2/images";
  4.                 var smf_scripturl = "https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php";
  5.                 var smf_iso_case_folding = false;
  6.                 var smf_charset = "ISO-8859-1";
  7.         // ]]></script>
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I tried reproducing the problem again (with ccleaner) and I can't. hummmm. Anyhow : if/when it happens again, I'll try this :

Ctrl+F5 will do a full reload of the page (bypassing the cache). Try that before restarting.