ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

British money is about to get really cool

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Most of the more mature economies would do well to get rid of the lesser coins.
-Renegade (April 09, 2008, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

The UK has already done that twice in the last 50 years.

When decimal currency was introduce in the 70s the smallest coin was the new halfpenny (worth around 1.2 old pennies) so the old half penny effectively disappeared. Also as a corollary all prices effectively went up because every value was rounded up. After decimalisation the new half panney was removed from circulation.

Of course I don't quite remember farthings but they were worth a lot in their day ;)

Personally I don't want to see pennies go as it will just hike prices again for no good reason and us Brits are already ripped off. Yesterday I drove past a petrol station (gas station to N. Americans) and diesel is now £1.20 per litre (~ $2.36US, $2.40 CAD or 1.49 EUR).

Incidentally how long have US and Canadian dollars been on a par?

cranioscopical:
Incidentally how long have US and Canadian dollars been on a par?
-Carol Haynes (April 15, 2008, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since about September 2007.
It's been great for buying stuff from the U.S. but it's not helping our economy overall.
The previous occasion was about 30 years ago.

I have the feeling (perhaps wrongly) that when small-denomination coins are withdrawn no vendors round down.   >:(

SpoilerOne could buy quite a bit with a farthing. 
And as for the silver three-penny piece WOW!
The old white fiver was something of which we only dreamt.

Deozaan:
Personally I don't want to see pennies go as it will just hike prices again for no good reason and us Brits are already ripped off. Yesterday I drove past a petrol station (gas station to N. Americans) and diesel is now £1.20 per litre (~ $2.36US, $2.40 CAD or 1.49 EUR).
--- End quote ---

I know Brits usually suffer much more expensive prices, but that's actually a really good price for fuel compared to my area. Gasoline here is about $3.20 and diesel is above $4.

cranioscopical:
diesel is now £1.20 per litre (~ $2.36US, $2.40 CAD or 1.49 EUR).
--- End quote ---

I know Brits usually suffer much more expensive prices, but that's actually a really good price for fuel compared to my area. Gasoline here is about $3.20 and diesel is above $4.
-Deozaan (April 15, 2008, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Deozaan,

I think you're talking gallons and Carol's talking litres.  It seems that Carol's cost for diesel is roughly $8.90USD per US gallon.

:) or, depending on which side of the pond one is, perhaps that should be :'(

Deozaan:
Ah! Good point, cranioscopical. Amidst all the translating/converting taking place (petrol, pounds, litres, euros, etc.) I forgot to think of the difference between liters and gallons.

Silly Brits! Measuring things in a way that makes sense!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version