ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do you collect anything?

<< < (12/18) > >>

CleverCat:
You haven't seen dust till you live in South Africa! You can clean your house and by end of day, everything is filthy - again... >:(

lily14:
I collect  pictures  :-\

cathodera:

I collect Dirts of the World.

A long time ago, I started asking anybody who was going anywhere to bring me back some dirt. Most people just put a little bit into the film cans people used back then, but sometimes they will put it in a little decorative box or container from the country, so I get a bonus present!

And a couple went above and beyond - my collection includes a little chip of the Coliseum in Rome, the Great Wall of China, and a bit of dirt from Jim Morrison's grave. (Yes, if everybody did that, it would be just awful, and nobody should ever do it, and I never asked for anything but dirt from the country so don't hate. All countries have plenty of dirt.)

In recent years, of course, the dirt has to be sort of smuggled, so what people will usually do is - hmm. I still have some countries left to go, so maybe it will be better if I do not go into strategies.

Visitors from here and there are always tickled to see a little bottle with their country's dirt, and when I plant something that originated in a particular country, I can put a tiny, tiny pinch of dirt from there in to help it grow and give it good luck!

But the best part is to always have so much of the whole world right here with me, and I like to think that all the dirts are as excited as I am when a new one arrives.

It will probably take my whole life, but I hope that by the I am old, I will have dirt from every country - the world on a shelf!   :)

CleverCat:
Now that's original!

Plenty dirt in South Africa, even inside.. ;D  I have a piece of Mount Aviemore in Scotland which I treasure..

Carol Haynes:
Oh God where do I start ...

It isn't so much the collecting in my case it is the hoarding!

Even when I stop collecting things I can't bear to part with them.

Current collections:

* DVDs (getting ridiculous - can't bear not to complete sets too)
* Classical Music CDs
* Audio Books (digital downloads, CDs and audio cassettes)
* Piano Sheet Music
* Books (I could restock the local library - shelves double and triple stacked, growing piles all over the floor, not to mention dozens of boxes full in the roof space)
* Magazines - photography, computers, music, astronomy, science ....
* Rocks
* Computer Software (expensive and largely pointless)
Past collections that I can't throw out (but never look at):

* Classical LP records and cassettes
* VHS videos
* Rock climbing gear (I am still tempted but resist)
* Childrens books (I used to teach)
* Magazines - piles of the things that will never be opened again - mostly on my bedroom floor so I have to climb over them constantly
* Kitchen equipment
* Clothes and shoes ... things that either don't fit or are hideous ...
Other growing heaps of useless junk:

* Cardboard boxes
* Packing materials
* Old electronics
* Old computer parts
I'm afraid that lot barely scratches the surface - I think I am boardline compulsive!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version