ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do you collect anything?

<< < (3/18) > >>

laughinglizard:
I am a recovering book collector.. expensive habit  >:(
-mouser (April 08, 2008, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a digital packrat. I collect information about all sorts of things, I don't seem to be capable of focusing on one area. Probably because I'm interested in more things than I could learn about in several lifetimes.

Along the lines of Tinjaw, I collect information managers. Something to manage all the bits of stuff on my hard drive. I've been using Scrapbook, and I like it, but now Evernote has come along as an online option and I'm back to waffling again.
All the others are successfully collecting digital dust in folders on my hard drive.

And books, oh I love books. I don't think I have too many at the moment, but that would be because I discovered that Powell's bookstore will buy your books. You get store credit for them, which is ok with me.

I donate books to my local library for the collection or the book sale. The town and the library aren't all that large, so I make sure to contribute.

As for the rest...........its an ongoing process of uncluttering and simplifying.
Errrrrr, that doesn't apply to software.

Darwin:
Where do I start?

Artie Shaw recordings
Beatles albums and bootlegs
Wristwatches
Pocketwatches
Fountain pens
Software

I'm really only actively collecting software these days... I've listed my passions in the order in which I acquired them - the Artie Shaw obsession goes back to when I was 7 or 8 years old, software to my early 20's (and going strong almost 20 years later!).

zridling:
I'm nuts about accumulating (not collecting) things I'll use. For example,

* if I find a pair of shoes that are comfortable and attractive, I'll race to the store to buy a second pair, because I know they won't make them like that next year, or they'll tweak something and screw it up.

* I've bought far too many "lifetime" licenses, only two of which were hassle-free. (XYplorer and WinRAR)

* I spent 35 years buying great books like mouser, only to have moved them so many times that I finally replaced all but one with their digital versions!

* I do collect hi-quality erotic art pictures (Met-Art, Playboy, Perfect10, etc.). I never go back to look at them twice, but someday I think I'll enjoy looking at them in the nursing home.

* I have also spent the last two years burning movies (from 1922-2008) from sources like Netflix, and now have over 1300 — every one of which I like to watch.
Fortunately, if all that disappeared in a fire overnight, I could start over and replace them all. Even the shoes.

Darwin:
I can't believe I forgot books! They are my oldest passion, and I still buy and read 100's of them a year. I'd be lost without books...

Deozaan:
I collect Pokemon.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version