ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Q-Dir (File Manager)

<< < (2/6) > >>

dantheman:
It looks like a pretty flexible program.
Does the preview option offer more than image formats?

Dormouse:
Does the preview option offer more than image formats?-dantheman (April 12, 2008, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I couldn't get any to work, though thumbnails showed text etc (but not docs or pdfs). Maybe it needs a dose of stellents  :)

PhilB66:
Just a quick note on the portability claim...

I like Q-Dir for its size (380 kb) and functionality but it's not portable! It writes license acceptance and language selection entries to the registry (even after selecting "Portable" during installation). Also, it automatically register an extension (.qdr) and saves at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qdr
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\qdirdoc\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SoftwareOK.de\Q-Dir

Also, there are a few spelling mistakes in the UI and some tooltips are still in German. I hope this will be corrected in future version. And yes, it would be nice to view other document file types in the preview pane.

Curt:
Hmm... maybe you missed these lines?:

Q-Dir does not have to be installed and can be executed easily from the desktop.
Rename Q-Dir_Installer.exe to Q-Dir.exe and GO.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't write anything to anywhere if you follow this recipe.  :up:

Edited: Sorry! It must still write something, somewhere, because my first try was from a USB stick, (so it is portable), and only later I installed on the PC. But at this 'new' first run the same view was displayed as I had previously used on the stick version!

PhilB66:
Well, a new version is out (Q-Dir 3.03). See if it offers a fix to the registry issue and writes all settings to the .ini file.

@Curt, you are wrong about renaming the installer. If you go for this option, than Q-Dir creates a file, Q-Dir\start.qdr + a folder, "Favoriten" with a sub-directory "Quick-Link", in the Application Data folder. It also writes Q-Dir.ini to the Windows folder... and it still writes to the registry as mentioned in the above post. Checking the Portable Checkbox during installation is a better option.

Anyways, going to look at version 3.03...

It looks like it is corrected in version 3.03. It writes to the .ini file only. :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version