Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 30, 2014, 11:04:15 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Regshot — über-useful, über-tiny, now über-opensource…  (Read 5510 times)
nontroppo
Charter Honorary Member

spinning top

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »

Regshot is the little registry utility that could. Able to do a full registry and directory scan before and after any event, it spit out a detailed HTML report of the changes to your system all in a measly 72kB of .EXE goodness. Not only is it one of the most useful utilities around, it probably packs more usefulness/kB[1] than any other software I know.

Its problem has always been unreliable hosting. It has lived its online existence hosted on endlessly different servers, moving around more than a Mongolian nomad (and thus limiting its fame, along with the fact the developer is Japanese and thus less well know in the anglosphere). But it looks as if the nomad is trading the tent in for a shiny apartment in a large co-hab block; Sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot
http://regshot.blog.googlepages.com/regshot

Please make sure you have enough bandwidth to download the latest version, 90kB including full source. Maybe I should set up a torrent?  Wink

----
[1] Of course proper standard units are usefulness/KiB  tongue

lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:50:44 AM »

nice, reminds me of PCMag's In.Ctrl (currently version 5) which i had previously but stopped using after it became paidware.

PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:36:40 AM »

@nontroppo

I share your enthusiasm, but you might want to give this Regshot a try (Portable). The page is in Russian but the program is in English, French and German too.

See pic below for download button

nontroppo
Charter Honorary Member

spinning top

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:27:26 AM »

lanux: yep I found regshot specifically after In Ctrl was no longer freeware  smiley

Phil: what exactly is different about the Russian version?

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 04:14:23 AM »

Would be good if it could export the registry entries as registry entries. Useful utility good find!

PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:16:55 AM »

what exactly is different about the Russian version?

The UI is similar but Regshot 2.0 Unicode has some extra configuration options and capabilities. See summary of extra features at this MSFN thread.

nontroppo
Charter Honorary Member

spinning top

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 07:43:34 AM »

Phil: great info thanks! I suppose it would be ideal if the remerged the two projects back together...

justice: there was a mod (paraglider) of regshot V1.x that did exactly this, also an extra app called undoREG to work with regshot V1.x, and IIUC V2 can do this natively too (haven't tried it yet)...

EDIT: this page has a changelog going from V1.x through V2.x:

http://bbs.betabbs.com/index.php?showtopic=61050
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 07:52:17 AM by nontroppo » Logged

nontroppo
Charter Honorary Member

spinning top

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 07:58:39 AM »

I am very disappointed with V2.x though, all of that bloat has take the EXE up to 176kB!!! Luckily the usefulness has increased too to keep the usefulness/kB constant  Cool

PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 07:50:53 PM »

Regshot updated version 2.0.1.63 available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.02 ]