ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GAOTD & Virus

<< < (2/7) > >>

Dormouse:
When I read the comments I immediately unsubbed from GAOTD.  :(
-Cuffy (April 07, 2008, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nothing to do with GAOTD really. Just that the prog (todays download) severely mucked up some computers. As said, AVs get so deep it is easy for them to do damage. I'm always careful which of these I load, and am aware they may give rise to difficulty.

Curt:
I am surprised that you cared to react on this single freelist post. It was one post only, and no-one agreed (or dis-agreed) with him. Outpost Antivira cannot be installed on top of Outpost Firewall, it is the same engine. Users of Outpost Firewall must get the Suite if they want to test the Antivira. On GOATD one said he had troubles with another firewall as well. On the other hand some other guy even said he was running Outpost Antivira at the same time as his normal default antivira.

For more than a year I have downloaded, scanned (NOD32), and installed two out of three GAOTD files, and I can assure you there are no vira coming from Giveawayoftheday. Guaranteed!

Dormouse:
Here's the info from the comments in last sat. GAOTD...........-Cuffy (April 07, 2008, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quotes from a remarkably ignorant and chauvinistic poster. Seemed to think that 'Eastern bloc' (sic) meant Asian rather than East European and being suspicious of everything, but not careful enough to avoid being ripped off multiple times. The British Virgin Islands (in the Caribbean) were reported in 2000 to have over 41% of offshore company registrations in the world. All it means is that the GAOTD co is registered there, presumably for tax reasons. No idea why he thinks a lot of the progs are coming from China ... or what it has to do with the Outpost AV.

Lashiec:
Incidentally, the best security experts and software come from the Eastern Bloc, just starting with Eugene Kaspersky (Russian).

This is just the typical behaviour of anything related to Agnitum, its firewall used to cause a lot of havoc a few years ago. Didn't know they jumped the antivirus bandwagon, too.

Cuffy:
Sorry Curt, but you and I have obviously had greatly different experiences, both in life and with GAOTD.
In a previous life I used to fly multi-engined jet aircraft across the Atlantic , the Pacific, and various other large puddles of water, and usually loaded with passengers. I've been quite well programmed to err on the side of caution!
The rewards of downloading software from GAOTD are not great enough for me to plunge into accepting products when I have no idea what's in the box. I have downloaded a few and usually usually dumped them within hours of installing. I think I still have a couple on this machine but they aren't important enough to me to even remember what they are. I have yet to see one that "I couldn't live without". I have gigabytes of software ratholed on CDs, DVDs, HDDs and floppies, both 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 that came from similar operations, since 1988 or 89, so I'm really not hurting for software. I can afford to let this "opportunity" slip out of my hands and since somebody has raised doubts and had problems with stuff from GAOTD, I'm going to forego their offers.
Apparently you enjoy what they present? Please be my guest and help youself. I'll refrain!
YMMV
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version