ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GAOTD & Virus

(1/7) > >>

Cuffy:
Beware the downloads......... I just saw on another forum they're spreading a virus.

That site is also suspect. It's on some remote offshore island that I neverheard of????

Update:
I don't think this is a virus. It's a nasty playmate!

""Outpost Antivirus Pro.

Onto two computers:

Outlook would not even start; Firefox locked up; Internet Exploder locked
up; every program on my systems except Forte Agent locked up until I
uninstalled the *W#(@#$&$(*& Outpost Antivirus Program.  When I rebooted and
got Outlook to run, I was informed that the Outpost AV addin had caused the
problems and "did not play well with others." "

Darwin:
OK... now you're scaring me! Can you provide a link to the other forum? I'd like to read more about this!

Cheers,

Mike

Cuffy:
I picked it up from an RSS feed!

http://www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/04-2008/msg00150.html

A couple of days ago, maybe the weekend Giveaway, I was reading the comments posted by others that had gotten the giveaway and checked on the source.
When I read the comments I immediately unsubbed from GAOTD. Saturdays main offering I think???
If you can't find it I can boot up another machine and get that eMail msg by downloading it from the server with OE.
I dumped it!
YMMV :(

Grorgy:
I find I have yearly problems with Antivirus and other security programs.  Bit defender for instance just never works for me and causes all sorts of nastiness.   People yell virus when its probably just not compatible with their setup.

Cuffy:
Here's the info from the comments in last sat. GAOTD...........

"I still get e-mails from GAOTD so every once in awhile I check to see the offerings. But I read the comments and still stay away. I am mainly suspicious of where all these programs are coming from.

So far just about every GAOTD offering are from developers in China and former Eastern Bloc countries.

I dunno, but maybe no one minds. Maybe this is an “international site” where members are also in Europe or Asia, so it’s not a big deal that the software if coming from questionable sources.

— edited —

No offense to anyone, but the only time I have been burned with ID theft and credit card ripoffs is when I bought from Chinese or “Eastern Bloc” vendors.

So no more for me.

Comment by MichaelSF — April 5th, 2008 at 5:25 am
Did you find this comment useful? yes | no (-43)
OK, I guess it’s my mistake. GAOTD is a foreign run operation. I did not know that. Guess that explains the varied locations of all the posters in here.

I apologize, did not mean to insult anyone. But this will be my last post and visit. Good luck and have fun.

WhoIs on GAOTD. Tortola is the largest of the British Virgin Islands, by the way:

Registrant Contact Information:
Name: SoftDeluxe Soft
Organization: SoftDeluxe, Inc
Address 1: Tortola
City: Tortola
State: Tortola
Zip: 21089"

Best I can do! 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version